Van Norman #12 Rebuild

You'll want to pull the saddle too and make sure that the oil port to the top of the knee is clear.

Yes, the plate on the back of the saddle is part of the stub shaft that the center gear runs on. Pull the screws, rotate it a bit and use some sort of hook in one of the screw holes to fish it out. I make a hook out of a scrap of #12 copper wire.

Cal

Great thread!

Weeble- Awesome job cleaning out that saddle. What did you use? Kerosene/mineral spirits and shop towels....or were you actually able to get that huge piece of iron over a parts washer?

Wilde- Your saddle looks pretty clean too! I was going to ask you the same thing! I have yet to crack mine open...."jawdrop:

I apologize for the late response...been busy. All the small parts went into my (smallish) parts wash. I use Stoddard solvent, an assortment of brushes, nylon scrub pads, and elbow grease. The saddle did fit in, but buckled the tray in the parts washer. Oops. The large parts were cleaned in place or on the floor (over plastic) using the same solvent.

Weeble

A general update on this machine. It is still not fully operational, as other projects have taken priority. I will be able to get back to it soon.

The spindle was replaced with an original having the proper VN-C internal taper. The modified spindle that came with the machine was difficult to remove, but the new one went in very nicely.

I was able to purchase an over arm bracket and another belt guard. The belt guard that came with the mill had been broken and re-welded. When I tried to mount the "new" one, I discovered that it doesn't fit. The (large) 3hp motor spaces the pulleys just far enough apart so the guard won't cover. It is possible, then, that the old guard was purposely broken and re-welded just to lengthen it a bit. This would also mean the motor is not original. Another possibility could be that the belts have stretched so much that motor has been slid all the way to the rear to maintain proper tension.

I still have to fabricate the right hand table bracket to replace the broken one. I should be able to get started on that soon.

The motors need to be wired back up to the heaters, and then it should be ready to go. Hopefully by the end of summer.

Weeble

Last edited:
Have you got her up and running? What can you say about the oversize/overspeed motor? Currently looking at replacing my motor, and 1140 RM models with adequate HP are hard to come by.

Back