Valve guides

Pevehouse

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all, I am about to rebuild the top end of a Honda pioneer 700 engine. It’s a little 1 cylinder engine in a side by side. Average run of the mill job for me, however when I got my valve guides and valves in the mail I noticed the valve stems don’t fit into the guides. I am assuming that they have to be fitted to the valves. I have never done this so I was hopi g that someone here has experience in doing valve train work on cylinder heads and can explain what it is that I’m faced with and what the specifications for stem to guide may be. Thanks in advance

Might I add, that I am an automotive technician on cars and light trucks and these side by sides a kind of new to me

You should be able to get the spec from Honda. The big thing with valve guides is better too big than too small, you don't want the valve stem to seize in the guide. If you don't have a hone, or reamer, a piece of steel rod with a slit cut in one end with some emery paper will suffice. Mike

You should be able to get the spec from Honda. The big thing with valve guides is better too big than too small, you don't want the valve stem to seize in the guide. If you don't have a hone, or reamer, a piece of steel rod with a slit cut in one end with some emery paper will suffice. Mike
I will buy the appropriate tooling. Probably won’t be my last one. This company has several of these things. I just wasn’t sure if I was looking at reaming or honing them in. I appreciate your expertise. I have a service manual coming that should have my specs in there. Any thing else I should know?

You must be a tech as well. I have gotten pointers from you before I believe

What material are the guides? The cylinder head? That may make a difference in fitting the valve stem.
Have you tried the guides to see if they fit the head?

As stated, you generally ream them to rough size and then hone final fit. There's a clearance spec, and it depends on the engine.

I would bet that your local Honda dealer would sell you the proper reamer or reamers. When I worked for Saturn we did a lot of guides. A special bit in an air hammer to remove and install them. Then 2 reamers to size them. Lap the valves/seats and done. Quick and easy.

Back