Valve Grinding Machine ...

I paid $500 for the Black & Decker setup. The Kwik Way (Thanks for the correct spelling GK1918) I got for $200, but it was the machine only with out the cabinet, seat grinder, or any of the hardware. A fair amount I guess, but otherwise I would have spent it on something frivolous like food or utility bills. Mike
:cpa:
Nice:, how much is one of those in that part of the country ?,
Thanks

We do a fare share of valve work mainly valve in block V8 Fords. My 1930's Kwik Way
served well. Also the traveling Snap On truck is where we get 'seat stones'......

;

View attachment 126829
Your pic of that grinder just brought back memories. I believe it was the same one I had? I could easily grind the old Model A valves in it. The ones with the mushroomed stem ends. The chuck with steel balls could hold it no problem. The grinder had a round belt going under the machine from the motor to the rotating chuck. Kind of a pain at the time, but now I have better belting but not the machine. I sold the grinder and I’m very sorry now for letting it go…Dave

Nice find Mike. Did you get the power head for the Black and Decker seat grinder.
IMG_0486.jpg

They do a great job. Was given this one by an old friend after he was done with it. Don't do a lot of engine work but its been put to use a few times over the years. The valve grinder he gave me has been collecting dust Im afraid. Have thought about making a drill bit grinding attachment for it, but like you its way down the list.

Greg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

Just for the info on Kwik Way belt. I just replaced mine with a sewing machine belt I got on ebay
its like raw hide with a staple works perfect......

Thanks for the tip, I haven't had a chance to look at any of this stuff in person yet. Most of it is being stored at my sons place in Denver. I've bought quite a few items off of Craigs List and a few other places, including a few from folks here on the forum while we've been gone for the winter. We will be heading home in a week or so, and I'm pretty excited to see all my new toys. Mike

Mine doesn't have the cabinet but best I can find, mine is a 1934 NWA model B&D.

The guy who gave it to me told me the last time it was used was 1984 and I used it to grind the valve on a four cylinder Lycoming.

I also have three Sioux power heads but there are the long-reach variation to reach into aircraft cylinders which make stem kinda iffy on automobile engines-bt, that's why I have a milling machine!

The case for the stones is a beautiful but water-damaged tongue/groove or rabbetted wooden box.

Back