Value of Logan 9B-17-61

New here and to machining, I've been keeping an eye open for lathes on local classifieds.

Someone has just posted a Logan 9B-17-61 near me with the following description:
"9" swing, 22" bed, 3/4 " bore. 3 and 4 jaw. Some tooling to go with. Works well, some wear for being 50 some years old. "

Lathe looks well used and the guy is asking $2k. Based on some searches on here and google, it appears that this is on the high side for this lathe even in perfect condition. However, most of the threads or posts I found were from around 2012. It isn't unusual to pay a premium around here as we live in quite a rural area with low population density and not many similar tools pop up. I've added the pictures of the lathe to this post.

It seems like it would be a good fit for a smaller beginner lathe for my shop however if I could get some input from the knowledgeable people here I would appreciate it!

View attachment 322021View attachment 322022View attachment 322023View attachment 322024View attachment 322025View attachment 322026View attachment 322027View attachment 322028View attachment 322029

View attachment 322021
Hello, I just bought a 9 B 17 for $200.00 . It does need a motor and one of the gears in the quick change gear box is stripped. But other than that its in excellent condition with almost no wear. From what i see in the pictures i would say $2000 is very high.

First of all, welcome to the group!

$2000 would be a high price for that lathe. On the other hand, $200 is a very good price. Those little Logans are nice lathes.
I have to say I've never seen a stand like that: interesting design. Must have been shop made. You probably
should plan on adding a chip pan to it or you'll have oil and chips all over the floor.
It doesn't look as though your lathe has a quick change gear box. Are you talking about the gear train under the cover by the
headstock? Ebay would be the place to look for a replacement gear if one is damaged.
If you're not aware of it, replacement parts are available new for these machines from Logan at Lathe.com. They aren't cheap,
but at least they're available. Also, it would be worthwhile to obtain the Operator's Instructions and Parts Manual for your
machine. Logan sells it for 25 bucks and it's money well spent.

Let us know how things go as you get your lathe up and running!

Back