Value of Logan 9B-17-61

KZaccounts

Registered
Registered
New here and to machining, I've been keeping an eye open for lathes on local classifieds.

Someone has just posted a Logan 9B-17-61 near me with the following description:
"9" swing, 22" bed, 3/4 " bore. 3 and 4 jaw. Some tooling to go with. Works well, some wear for being 50 some years old. "

Lathe looks well used and the guy is asking $2k. Based on some searches on here and google, it appears that this is on the high side for this lathe even in perfect condition. However, most of the threads or posts I found were from around 2012. It isn't unusual to pay a premium around here as we live in quite a rural area with low population density and not many similar tools pop up. I've added the pictures of the lathe to this post.

It seems like it would be a good fit for a smaller beginner lathe for my shop however if I could get some input from the knowledgeable people here I would appreciate it!

$_59 (6).png$_59 (1).png$_59 (2).png$_59 (3).png$_59 (4).png$_59 (5).png$_59 (7).png$_59 (8).png$_59.png

$_59 (6).png

I'm a newbie too but $2k sounds a little steep. I paid $800 for the SB 9" (see my profile picture), and that was a pretty good deal. It needed a belt and a little cleaning but was otherwise running fine. It had a few issues I found during cleaning that I didn't see when purchased it. They are not big issues and I think I'm still ahead of the game. Mine came with 3 & 4 jaw chucks, center rest, small and large drill chucks, and tooling. Others more familiar with Logan will have to weigh in. I know it has a good rep and it looks like a solid machine.

Not a Logan owner, but I agree that seems steep. I'd consider $1200 to be reasonable personally if it were in decent mechanical condition (don't care about paint) and it had a good selection of accessories. The Precision Matthews 10x22 can be had for $2300 new with accessories and a warranty. I'm not going to comment on the old American iron vs. new quality import, but I put that there for comparison.

Two grand for that is ridiculous ..........!!!
I paid 900 bucks for my 820 with QCGB and a reasonable amount of tooling
then sold it for a grand after a thorough rehab and paint to a young man new to the hobby as I had bought
another larger lathe, sure miss the 820 though, the 12x36 has no back gear to utilize.......

Last edited:
Lathe prices vary depending on where you live, but $2000.00 is high. Small Logans often sell for anywhere between
$800.00 and $1500.00 depending on model and what tools are included. The 9 inch was the smallest machine Logan made and, as was pointed out has no quick change gear box. It also doesn't look like it has much tooling,
which can be a significant expense. Logans are good machines and are easy to support since new parts are available
but I'd pass on that one. A better bet would be a 10 inch machine with a QCGB and better tooling. If you
can find an 11" machine that's even better since they have a larger spindle bore.

whereabouts are you?

I agree with the others, that's too high for no QCGB and limited tooling. Keep looking, something'll pop up even if you have to drive a few hours to check it out.

Two years ago I sold a 9B-17 in excellent, almost new, condition for $1800. Had the qcgb, and virtually every accessory and all tooling other than a taper attachment. That machine in the ad looks it‘s age and likely has significant wear. I suspect it will be available for a while, so no need to rush into it. I understand about lack of machine tools in an area, but you'd have to need or want one awfully bad to pay that asking price. Wait for reality to sink in with the seller. If someone else bites, just chalk it up to the bigger fool syndrome.

I'm not seeing a steady rest nor the rest of the change gears in the picts.
Way too high.

Back