Using a Dremel on a lathe

Here is a pic of a damaged Dremel from tool post grinding. it was less than 3 months old.

It's fixed but I'll never use it on a lathe again.

I know the older versions of Dremel tools were direct drive. I have had 5 types dremel's or copies over the last 15 years, my original Dremel is the only one that has lasted.

I have modded some of them with j-b and stronger plastic drive connection sleeves.

Dremel tools are not the best for harder working pressures as others have said.

I would use a Grobet rotory tool or an air pencil grinder / some thing like it.

002 (2).JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

Last edited:
The Dremel is more of a toy than a tool, suited only for the balsa, plastic model maker or similar craft-hobby crowd. It has no place in a metal or wood shop.
The pencil grinder is an option only if you have sufficent compressed air to run it, they are rather loud too. I recommend using an electric Die Grinder, they are available from most major tool manufactures and are 1000x better than a Dremel. Most have a rather long straight barrel before the chuck, making an attachment fixture for a lathe easy to fabricate. You can even clamp it into a milling attachment if you have one. One important thing to remember: Abrasive dust will rapidly destroy the ways of your lathe. You should take great care to protect them. Cover the ways with aluminum foil and position a vacuum nozzle to catch most of the dust while grinding. I have gotten exellent results with such an arrangement.

A Foredom also works better than a Dremel being of higher quality w/ an all metal body and 3-jaw chuck. Here's mine is set-up on a ball turning jig for a special application with a std. 1/2" tool holder.

Those foredom ends also fit right in a QCTP BXA boring bar holder (the large one) with the sleeve removed.

Beyond using a Dremel there are some d-i-y plans:
Popular Mechanics, Aug 1944; Popular Science, Aug 1941.

Couple of How-To Use: Popular Mechanics, Feb 1944 & Nov 1949

There are plans (maybe) floating around the 'net reprinted from Model Craftsman, June 1937. Author is CW Woodson. This one requires a casting.

Try checking the archives of Home Model Engine Machinist (HMEM). I have a brief reference to a thread but unfortunately no url.

Little Machine Shop (usual disclaimers) sells a few models.

Rather than a Dremel, I use a Proxxon Rotary tool. Not even in the same league as a Dremel. They actually make toolpost holders for it. Quiet and basically no vibration.

You can make your own TP grinder, there is a magazine article I have on building precision bearing machine spindles and if you want I'll send them on.

Agreed on the pencil grinder. Get a small one unless you have a LARRRRRGE air compressor.

Very true, my 60 gallon pumps every minute or so using it. But when you need a pencil grinder, it's the only tool that will work.

Guys,

I recently made a Dremel tool holder and I tried to use it as a grinder. I see two possibilities. I am not sure which one will be the best.

1. Mount the Dremel on the tool post, adjust the compound to the necessary angle and then feed the Dremel tool forward (away from the operator) just as you would if it was a regular cutting tool.

2. Mount the Dremel tool and place it behind the part being machined and bring Dremel towards you (towards operator).

Thanks
Prasad
Wynnewood PA

I have a Dremel, I use as a BSA Pinewood axle polisher. It has the RPMs but I doubt the torque needed for fine grinding. Use the Dremel sparingly. I would recommend a electric tool post grinder for your lathe if your budget can handle it.

Best of luck

If the Dremel is all you have and you can make due, then by all means use it. Just don't expect a ground quality finish. More like a 'grinder' quality finish.

Building a tool post grinder would be an awesome project for you as well. Lots of info available on shop made units to follow.

Back