Using a Dremel on a lathe

I used my HF air pencil grinder to grind the ID taper of my er40 holder when I built it.

It worked well, but I could only take about .0005 cuts.

Everyone typically uses the best tool they have available and if it's a Dremel, then that's what it is. I've been trying to gain some advantages in miling and on a lathe for a small high-speed grinder and have probably tried "too many" to be proud of. The "better option" in the small sized "non-professional" version has been a Proxxon grinder - it has better bearings and they are supported by a metal frame rather than being plastic that is more prone to flexing and softening with temperatures. Compared to Dremel tools it is almost double the money but is worth it to me. The pencil grinders also come in a few varieties of "quality" as do most things and while they do not have bearings intended for this use, they will work but don't equate the size to minimal air flow. In order to get the rpm and torque, you have to open up the valve and use more air. I've found one other item made for more of this purpose - called a "Mini-Mac - MM625." You'll have to take your extra wallet to pick it up but this device is also air driven, 30k rpm, small shaft size limit and actually has the bearings and construction that you're wanting in a small package that's for more of the pro-use.

The answer to everyones question is really about what you are trying to achieve - 1 part per year or 100 parts an hour for the next 5 years? That's where the money question gets resolved as will your options for the best tool for the job at that time.

Have to comment on an earlier reply in this group from "Mr. Ford" - if you haven't seen his website before, you should set aside a few hours to look it over closely. I've not seen anyone's site with as much value in what he shows, the subjects he picks, the methods he comes up with and his consistent photographic attention to details. He has more "damn good ideas" than most ever manage to come up with and he's offering it to you for free. He has a specific line of work that creates the need for "inventiveness and creative thinking" and he does both consistently. Don't miss the chance to learn something from him and I know you will in the first five minutes!

Thanks.

Back