Used mill inspection advice

Personally I believe Kansas is a machinery dessert.
I believe Dave's pricing is a little low in this economy but not very much.
I think the Bridgeport vice and collects are there to try and justify the price.
What are the vice and collects true value?
Distance is a factor if you can't rig and transport.
In my area that's about a 4k machine
but in the dessert I would add the cost of shipping to that. That being said I would shoot around the 4900.00 mark and see if he bites.
Remember today a ten dollar bill is the old five dollar bill.
Now for a different thought.
I many times buy broken, worn , damaged machines. I get them cheaper and invest time and money in them.
You can stand at the sellers place for hours picking his brain inspecting your pants off and still have something that needs work.
Now your all in and any more investment brings feelings of a poor sale on either your part or his part.
A broken machine doesn't get the same sales technique and if you spend some time looking over the damage and maybe comment to your self it's going to need something not mentioned by the seller,
Climb up and offer 60% of what he's asking, odds are he will say yes before you swallow.
This not for the faint of heart but I would rather buy at 500-1000 and put new screws nuts and bearings ect into the machine myself.
Part of this is being honest with yourself about skill level and available time.
Also, if you have been reading this forum one take away should be that
"Everything needs Something" and these guys are always taking there machines apart to either maintain or repair or improve them.
You will be too no matter what you buy.

I agree! I know all machines need work. I’m a machinist, just not a lathe or mill machinist. I have repaired and operated swiss, american, and Chinese made presses since I was 18.

I have seen Chinese machines in 3 different fields of work all have major problems after 3-5 years of operation. I have not seen that on the others I work with. They all have wear parts, but I know when I go to put them back together they can be taken apart again, over and over again..

I’m fine working on them, but now that I’m making parts and getting paid for them. The machines I will be making parts for are 50k-millions of dollars. I can’t waste that much time diagnosing and repairing my machines. . when it was just a hobby it was fine, but now I have gotten good enough at the basics that I’m getting the chance to make parts for big machines that run every day. I’m no expert though, even if I think I know how to do something, often times I ask on here. I enjoy learning this stuff as well as talking about it. Often times I hear a different perspective and expands how I think about machining in general.

I like the 4900 offer. I have a truck and a forklift, but I won’t be bringing the forklift so they will have to load it on our trailer/truck. The machine is only 20-40 minutes away. I’m going to go to one of our subsidiaries and look at their Bridgeport j type mill and practice measuring everything, so i can do it as efficiently as possible at the meeting.

I believe Dave's pricing is a little low in this economy but not very much.
I priced them low because I got them low and didn't want to store them for years . :)

I priced them low because I got them low and didn't want to store them for years . :)
Never heard anyone complain about you selling to cheap before? lol
I am glad you are trying to sell reasonably, it gets the equipment in hobby people's hands.
When I first tried to buy machines for home hobby use it was difficult and nobody would sell you anything reasonably, that's why If you look at my listings I buy what I want, usually forced to buy more than I want to get the deal then try to get rid of the rest at a bargain price. $5 solid carbide end mills, 4 jaw chucks 100.00 as examples. I don't want to give you a big ego but you are helping to get stuff in people's hands at a price they might not find else where.
Hats off to you Dave

I've met many friends over the years , both members and non-members ( who are now members ) . The one thing we all have in common is the love of machines and tools . None of us can take them with us when we move on , so to spread these tools out to people who could use them is the way to go . Hopefully they'll be used and will be here long after we are gone . :encourage:

I told him rsepectfullu, I can get a better machine for 3-4 grand if I drive. He said no way.. I said what’s your best price, he said 6500. I said there’s no dro, bp vice and cheap collets. That’s worth maybe 4-5 max. He said no way. I told him we wouldn’t be able to find a compromise. I feel bad low balling him like that, but there is no way that Bridgeport should be 7 grand when other people sell them for 3-5 max and I see that now. Any one that wants to sell me a machine let me know.

I told him rsepectfullu, I can get a better machine for 3-4 grand if I drive. He said no way.
:grin: Maybe he had gold hidden in the machine somewhere ? :dunno:WAY overpriced , and don't think that you low balled him . If you need a BP and willing to drive , heck you could come get mine for 3K , and I'll tool you up right . Of course I have to get rid of all the other **** in front of the mill to move it out . I think this seller was in love with his mill , and didn't know the going prices these days . :rolleyes:

I agree! I know all machines need work. I’m a machinist, just not a lathe or mill machinist. I have repaired and operated swiss, american, and Chinese made presses since I was 18.

I have seen Chinese machines in 3 different fields of work all have major problems after 3-5 years of operation. I have not seen that on the others I work with. They all have wear parts, but I know when I go to put them back together they can be taken apart again, over and over again..

I’m fine working on them, but now that I’m making parts and getting paid for them. The machines I will be making parts for are 50k-millions of dollars. I can’t waste that much time diagnosing and repairing my machines. . when it was just a hobby it was fine, but now I have gotten good enough at the basics that I’m getting the chance to make parts for big machines that run every day. I’m no expert though, even if I think I know how to do something, often times I ask on here. I enjoy learning this stuff as well as talking about it. Often times I hear a different perspective and expands how I think about machining in general.

I like the 4900 offer. I have a truck and a forklift, but I won’t be bringing the forklift so they will have to load it on our trailer/truck. The machine is only 20-40 minutes away. I’m going to go to one of our subsidiaries and look at their Bridgeport j type mill and practice measuring everything, so i can do it as efficiently as possible at the meeting.
If you're using it for business are you paying cash out of pocket or financing?

Have you discussed this with your accountant? It might be a better proposition to lease or finance, I only mention this because what may work best for your situation could be very different than those of us who are doing this for our own enjoyment. One of the most important things in business in my experience is keeping your available capital available for unexpected expenses/opportunities.

I know nothing about your business so please take what I say with a good degree of skepticism. If your volume is small and your work all one off a used manual machine could be the best option, but if you see your business scaling in the next few years getting something with at least some CNC capability might be a better option. With your stated preference for quality machines it might be worthwhile chatting with the folks at Wells Index to see what they offer.

Having this seller refuse your offer might be a good time to re-evaluate what your needs are and how to meet them now and into the near future.

JMHO,

John

:grin: Maybe he had gold hidden in the machine somewhere ? :dunno:WAY overpriced , and don't think that you low balled him . If you need a BP and willing to drive , heck you could come get mine for 3K , and I'll tool you up right . Of course I have to get rid of all the other **** in front of the mill to move it out . I think this seller was in love with his mill , and didn't know the going prices these days . :rolleyes:
It was very nice, the oiling marks were still there. The power feeds worked, but the gibs were all the way in and it was a hell of a lot easier to move in the middle and hard near max travel.

So you made the right decision . :encourage: I just put some equipment onto FB just to get it out of my way . Once they are gone , the mill will go . Anyone showing up with a trailer is welcome . :grin:

If you're using it for business are you paying cash out of pocket or financing?

Have you discussed this with your accountant? It might be a better proposition to lease or finance, I only mention this because what may work best for your situation could be very different than those of us who are doing this for our own enjoyment. One of the most important things in business in my experience is keeping your available capital available for unexpected expenses/opportunities.

I know nothing about your business so please take what I say with a good degree of skepticism. If your volume is small and your work all one off a used manual machine could be the best option, but if you see your business scaling in the next few years getting something with at least some CNC capability might be a better option. With your stated preference for quality machines it might be worthwhile chatting with the folks at Wells Index to see what they offer.

Having this seller refuse your offer might be a good time to re-evaluate what your needs are and how to meet them now and into the near future.

JMHO,

John
It’s family small business. It’s just an opportunity for me to take my hobby and make money doing it since they have seen that I’m going to machine parts and fix things myself anyways. We have the money to pay for the parts, but often times these parts are exponentially more than a machine to make the parts cost, even when they are simple.

I’m not sure how the owner is going to pay, but he could pay cash easily, or he could finance it. He trusts that I will find a good manual machine. He also knows that I’m not going to overpay because I’m overly cautious because I’m not rich.

Back