Used mill inspection advice

3K . When it comes time for me to part with my BP , that's what I would sell it for .
Damn. I can’t imagine offering him 3k and having him sell it to me for that when he’s asking 6950. It has 10 collets also. I was thinking I would offer 5, but I have seen many mills sell for around 5 in my area.

Also keep in mind , you're losing x axis travel being a 42" table and not a 48" . May not seem like much , but 6"s is 6"s ! :eek:
It comes with r8 collet system and its from the mid 90s. I know this same guy already sold the same model mill that was similar for 4950, so I’m not sure why this one is priced so much higher.

I don’t need the 48. I’m not a big guy and have limited space, so the 42 is good enough for me.

What’s that emoji for? Because the price is so high? I guess Kansas is closer to a desert. There are many mills sold for 1-4 k, but they are filthy and missing things, or broken. These are by far the nicest I have ever seen posted. The ways have pictures of the half moon scraping on all the ways and the paint is still intact except where you would expect chips in the paint from metal chips flying around.

Just surprised that mills go for that much . I should start hauling equipment out that way ! :grin:
I did a quick search on eBay and they go for anywhere from 2k-8k for the same mill. You’re making me worried I’m getting screwed.

The further northeast I look, the more machines I find for less money..

The further northeast I look, the more machines I find for less money..
Northeast and out west as well . Mr. Whoopie comes up with some great deals out there and posts them on here . :encourage:

Northeast and out west as well . Mr. Whoopie comes up with some great deals out there and posts them on here . :encourage:
Should I be looking on here for mills. I didn’t think about getting one on here. This machine is 20 minutes away from where I live.

You can get a brand new Precision Matthews mill for $5400. Add another $600 or so for accessories that would match the one you're looking at, plus about $500 for delivery and you're at $6500.

He may have sold the last one for $4950, but what was the asking price? Go there in person with money and all your tools to check it. Tell him you're willing to travel to save a few thousand dollars. Ask them what their best price is and see if they come down, or how much they come down. I've found if you stay and chat and are friendly and let them know you're serious you can glean bits of info that will inform your offer.

He's local, but you still have to get the mill to your shop. Not sure what it costs to get a mill delivered, but it would be worth looking into so you know if you're saving any money by looking close, or if the cost is based on something besides mileage, or if mileage is a small part of the overall cost.

Last edited:
You can get a brand new Precision Matthews mill for $5400. Add another $600 or so for accessories that would match the one you're looking at, plus about $500 for delivery and you're at $6500.

He may have sold the last one for $4950, but what was the asking price? Go there in person with money and all your tools to check it. Tell him you're willing to travel to save a few thousand dollars. Ask them what their best price is and see if they come down, or how much they come down. I've found if you stay and chat and are friendly and let them know you're serious you can glean bits of info that will inform your offer.

He's local, but you still have to get the mill to your shop. Not sure what it costs to get a mill delivered, but it would be worth looking into so you know if you're saving any money by looking close, or if the cost is based on something besides mileage, or if mileage is a small part of the overall cost.
I have everything to get the mill to our shop. I’m happy with precision Matthews customer service. I’m not happy with Chinese quality. I will not be purchasing another import machine unless it’s Taiwanese. I have a pm1236 and it’s been broken many times, possibly once because of me, all the others were quality issues. Pm has worked with me and is taking care of me. I will never pay 6k for a mill, or lathe of the same quality as Chinese machines again. Nothing against pm, they told me I should have bought the Taiwan machine, but I don’t even use the lathe every day and it still has many problems.

I have worked on south bend lathes and Bridgeport mills (barely on the mill). You can feel and see the difference immediately.

You can find plenty of decades old bridgeports, cinci’s , south bends etc… every Chinese machine I have seen that old is in shambles.

Last edited:
Personally I believe Kansas is a machinery dessert.
I believe Dave's pricing is a little low in this economy but not very much.
I think the Bridgeport vice and collects are there to try and justify the price.
What are the vice and collects true value?
Distance is a factor if you can't rig and transport.
In my area that's about a 4k machine
but in the dessert I would add the cost of shipping to that. That being said I would shoot around the 4900.00 mark and see if he bites.
Remember today a ten dollar bill is the old five dollar bill.
Now for a different thought.
I many times buy broken, worn , damaged machines. I get them cheaper and invest time and money in them.
You can stand at the sellers place for hours picking his brain inspecting your pants off and still have something that needs work.
Now your all in and any more investment brings feelings of a poor sale on either your part or his part.
A broken machine doesn't get the same sales technique and if you spend some time looking over the damage and maybe comment to your self it's going to need something not mentioned by the seller,
Climb up and offer 60% of what he's asking, odds are he will say yes before you swallow.
This not for the faint of heart but I would rather buy at 500-1000 and put new screws nuts and bearings ect into the machine myself.
Part of this is being honest with yourself about skill level and available time.
Also, if you have been reading this forum one take away should be that
"Everything needs Something" and these guys are always taking there machines apart to either maintain or repair or improve them.
You will be too no matter what you buy.

Back