(Used) Grizzly G0709 14x40 Ownership Thread

all joking aside, take that outside wearing gloves and disinfect it with something prejudicial to microbial life (10% bleach is very effective). Avoid aerosolising it - pour the bleach in and leave it for a day or two before rinsing or scrubbing. You can get some really unpleasant skin infections from the stuff that grows in old coolant, and that particular example looks like it's about to start discussing the merits of Shakespeare.

I was not able to get it out without risking spillage... so I poured some Clorox/bleach... left if a couple of days... then poured 1/2 gal of concentrated Simple Green... then turned the pump on with the empty container of the Simple Green to catch it all... Poured some more bleach with water.... rinse and repeat... Now waiting for all to settle and do another cycle. I will leave it all dry... not planning to use any coolant.

I still need to remove the tray and clean that well... only thing that I did was to scrape all the stuff that was there. But it needs to come out to give it a good clean with a pressure washer.

I also need to degrease it all... I have not done any cleaning since I bought it. I have only tackled the chucks to remove the gunk and some surface rust...

I will be here all week in Ocala so that will give me time to do some cleaning. I also want to replace the halogen light with the LED equivalent...

Recent photos...these were before cleaning the tray... you can see the need to also clean the backsplash... I will get to it this week...

IMG_8212.jpeg
IMG_8213.jpeg
IMG_8211.jpeg

After emptying the tray...

IMG_8222.jpeg

Whatever is on that backsplash is fighting the cleaning... WD-40 did nothing, non-Ethanol gas did nothing... will try some Simple Green (a new bottle, not the one I used to flush the system :p )

IMG_8221.jpeg
IMG_8220.jpeg

Also, the tray did not wanted to come out... this border is a bit bent and was preventing the tray to slide out easily. I got it to where the tray now comes out, but I will work some more on it to get it back into the correct shape...

IMG_8217.jpeg

It slides out now, but I need to get that top trim corrected...

IMG_8218.jpeg

Well, I want to get the DRO for this machine... I was reading Bruce's thread... going with the same one he got from TPACTools - 2-axis lathe DRO. 39" on the Z, 8" on the Y

TP1032 - Back in stock towards the end of August...

Reading Bruce's thread again... I need to decide if I am doing the taper attachment (Grizzly T10502 - Taper Attachment for G0709) or not, because now would be the time to get and install before doing the DRO.

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered the taper attachment. Might not use it, but it would be great to have it if I ever need it. They had a 10% off and another 5% for subscribing to email alerts...

Once that gets here I can do the install of both the taper attachment and the DRO.

T10502 - Taper Attachment for G0709 & G0824 Lathe

Taper Attachment.jpg

Here's a "build thread" for mine. Unless Grizzly fixed a few things, it's a bit of a kit though once installed, it works pretty well.

Bruce

Here's a "build thread" for mine. Unless Grizzly fixed a few things, it's a bit of a kit though once installed, it works pretty well.

Bruce

I will be following what you did :encourage:

Back