Upgrading LMS Mini-Lathe 4200 & Mini-Mill 3960?

MaverickNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I was able to acquire LMS Mini-lathe 4200 7x12 and 3960 Mini-Mill machines a decade ago, before I took a job that kept me on the road too much to do much at all with them. Now, I’m retired and getting back to it. I’m the Ham Radio manager at a local Makerspace and just learning to use a 1940s South Bend lathe and equally old Bridgeport mill with manual indicating.

I’m thinking to upgrade both of my units:

4200:
1. Extended 7x16” bed extension kit
2. Quick Change Tool Post & accessories
3. 2-axis Bluetooth DRO & Tailstock DRO; tachometer

3960:
1. I’ve already installed the motorized bed drive & air spring
2. 3-axis Bluetooth DRO

Any other upgrade suggestions? At some point, it’s not cost effective…but it’s a hobby, so that’s a relative concern!

BRET

Beyond the upgrades listed, I think you should start making stuff and that will inform you about what you need for your particular interests. For instance, instead of more upgrades you may want to consider accessories like an RT, sine table etc. -- but it all depends on your requirements.

Thanks, y’all. I’ve got a starter oscillating steam engine project for the mini-mill and a machinist’s hammer project for the mini-lathe. From there’s I’ll see where to next!

Priest Tools Spindle Lock (he calls it a brake, interlocked so you can’t start the motor). The 3960 has belt drive.

Phenom Engineering Y-Axis Thrust Bearing.

There are a couple of upgrades to your lathe you may want to consider. A cam style tailstock hold down (if it doesn't already have it), and a carriage lock.

Both are relatively easy to make if you'd rather take that approach. I took a slightly different approach for the tailstock by making a replacement nut for the hold down that uses a tommy bar. For awkward angles where the carriage fouls the bar, the short leg of an allen wrench can be handy.

I also made a cross slide lock. It is a bar that uses the mount holes for the traveling rest, with a screw parallel to the Z axis that locks the cross slide. There's a short length of aluminum rod between the screw and cross slide to avoid marring the cross slide.

I was a bit off drilling holes for the Left Lead Screw Bracket on my 2013 LMS 4300 mini lathe and the gears don't quite align. The Gear B lightly contacts the Bracket end, as seen in the attached picture.

I put an M8 washer over the Adjusting Stud which brought the gears forward to engage more fully and eliminate contact (2nd & 3rd pictures). Is this a good solution? I really don't want to patch and re-drill holes for the brackets - I'd probably make it worse.

PXL_20231208_003759734.MP.jpg
PXL_20231208_145718338.jpgPXL_20231208_145734327.jpg

Last edited:
I was a bit off drilling holes for the Left Lead Screw Bracket on my 2013 LMS 4300 mini lathe and the gears don't quite align. The Gear B lightly contacts the Bracket end, as seen in the attached picture.

I put an M8 washer over the Adjusting Stud which brought the gears forward to engage more fully and eliminate contact (2nd & 3rd pictures). Is this a good solution? I really don't want to patch and re-drill holes for the brackets - I'd probably make it worse.

View attachment 469875
View attachment 469877View attachment 469878
Looks good!

How about an electronic lead screw for the lathe? You're in the US so you can buy Clough42's kit (Bloody Brexit :rolleyes:).

Check out Steve Jordan's YouTube videos for a bunch of upgrades he did to his 7x14 (especially his carriage upgrades). Don't be put off by his weird accent and his somewhat ghetto setup and methods; he was an aerospace engineer before he retired so he ought to know a thing or two.

Artisan Makes is another youtuber who's done a load of upgrades (and he's got a weird accent too) so you might get some ideas there.

How about an electronic lead screw for the lathe? You're in the US so you can buy Clough42's kit (Bloody Brexit :rolleyes:).

Check out Steve Jordan's YouTube videos for a bunch of upgrades he did to his 7x14 (especially his carriage upgrades). Don't be put off by his weird accent and his somewhat ghetto setup and methods; he was an aerospace engineer before he retired so he ought to know a thing or two.

Artisan Makes is another youtuber who's done a load of upgrades (and he's got a weird accent too)so you might get some ideas there.

I messaged him a year or more ago and told him to Stop putting an A on the end of his words and he got better in that regard.

That drove me nuts, but it’s probably just a nervous thing.

Back