Unusual Work Holding Device

bearbon

Registered
Registered
Here's an unusual device I can't find any information on. It was made by Universal Vise & Tool Co., Parma MI. It was part of a portable welding table but looks like it could mount on a drill press column and serve as a good anti spin device for repeated drilling without a vise setup. The arms can slide on the bar and lock rigidly with the cam lock sleeves. They can also be swung out of the way when not needed.

I made the mistake of showing this on the Practical Machinist and got a lot of sneers and put-downs. One member apparently thinks any drill with less than a 5" column is a toy. Big egos there.

P1010536.JPG P1010537.JPG P1010540.JPG

Could easily be swung out of the way quickly leading to less hand held parts.

There are some interesting holding devices out there. This drill press vice came on a drill press I bought at a yard sale. (the vice was more useful than the press) I've never seen one like it. The clamp bolts to the table to stop rotation but the vice can be moved around the table to position it. The jaws have a small step at the top to hold thin plate, the jaws also have vertical and horizontal prisms for round stock. Use it all the time now.

IMG_0706.jpg

I made the mistake of showing this on the Practical Machinist and got a lot of sneers and put-downs
There are a lot of tool snobs out there! Any tool that makes your job easier is worth merit. I using the drill press, I frequently just mount a stud or clamp a stop on the table to prevent rotation. Often, you want the part to be able to move to find the center. If you have a lot of parts to make, reclamping can be tedious.

f350ca, I like your clamp as well. I may have to make something like that.

f350ca - I like your vise even better! I think it's an AMF or Wahlstrom Float-Lock vise. If it came with your drill press you got a deal. They're pretty expensive even used.

I made the mistake of showing this on the Practical Machinist and got a lot of sneers and put-downs. One member apparently thinks any drill with less than a 5" column is a toy. Big egos there.
I can't imagine someone thinking it's a toy - that's a nice drill press clamp. I have an older Mitty AMF float lock - I'd be tickled to have one like yours for my other "little" Craftsman 150.

John

Very interesting vises! Don't sweat the tool snobs. Not all of us feel the need to break out a 6,000 lb three phase radial drill press to pop a 1/4" hole in a piece 1" wide, 1/8" thick, 4" long. Little 1/4 hp bench mounted drill press does just fine for that.

f350ca - I like your vise even better! I think it's an AMF or Wahlstrom Float-Lock vise. If it came with your drill press you got a deal. They're pretty expensive even used.

Was a better deal than I thought, have never looked it up. Was on a bench top press that's been sitting in storage since I got it. Think I payed 15 or 20 dollars for the unit.

Greg

Those guys on Practical Machinist can be a bunch of jerks. It is never a pleasant feeling of anticipation to go there. The owner does nothing to stop the constant dog fights there.
Yeah, it didn't take long to realize I was in the wrong place. I got dogpiled with a bunch of snarky comments. I won't be going back to that forum. In contrast, this forum is friendly, witty and informative so I'll stick with you guys.

Back