Unknown Carriage

Yeah. Turned out to be off of a Sears 109.21270 made by AA circa 1949-1951. Someone on another forum ID'd it.

Robert D.

go down on that page and read it all...

go to google ..look for images button...

dif brand name, same manufacturer

OK. I knew about that images button but it takes text for the search criteria. I was referring to a search system where you would put in an image (i.e., the photo of the carriage) and look for photos of the same item. Like the facial recognition software which is such a staple of so many TV crime shows.

On the other matter, that isn't the case. If you are referring to the paragraph on the UK site that says "Marketed by Sears the new-for-1941-version of the AA109 6" x 18" at first carried the name "Dunlap", a name always used for the company's less-expensive models. ", "the company's" refers to Sears, not to Atlas. Not that it is any big deal, but as far as is known, the only relations between "The Double A Co." and "Atlas Press Co." are that at times over the years, they were both in Michigan. And that they both sold to Sears. In later years, Sears also badged the AA lathes as "Craftsman". Probably because buyers had come to know that badges like "Companion" and "Dunlap" indicated cheaper items of lesser quality. But not because AA belonged to Atlas. For a time, at least, AA (pronounced "Double A") belonged to B&S. And in a few instances, the UK site uses the term "Craftsman" when it really should say "Dunlap". Considering the magnitude of that undertaking, it is probably a miracle that there are not many more inconsistencies.:thinking:

Robert D.

go to google ..look for images button...

dif brand name, same manufacturer

That page shows 3 different lathes..the one in the middle is called a craftsman 80

I count 6, not including the photo miss-mash at the bottom. Craftsman "80" is some sort of marketing hype, as it doesn't actually appear on the machine. The year before, there was a wood lathe plus an earlier version of the AA metal lathe advertised under Craftsman "80". There was also a Craftsman "100" wood lathe. Sears used to do a lot of that - Companion, Dunlap, Master Craftsman, Craftsman Deluxe, etc. Those terms aren't usually useful or accurate for ID'ing a piece of equipment. Prior to about 1951, the Model Number plus the Catalog Number both might be required in order to accurately ID a machine. From at least 1951 on, the Model Number became unique, but they did not make the change retroactive. The 101.07403, for example, always required knowledge of the Catalog Number if you were ordering certain parts.

Robert

Back