Universal Press project

puts my puny 20-ton press I made to shame; it'll be a while before I try & outdo you, LOL; nice work!!!!!

I'm already finding immediate usages for mine which completed a day or 2 ago. Right now I'm clamping stuff in place for welding so the heat won't move it all around

Be lookin for more pix as it comes along

You should of made the cross pieces of the base removable then you could of used it for a gantry crane.......

besides a gantry crane you could use it as a pullup bar

Well Maxx, the inside width is just over 4' (54") so I can get the crappy HF brake/sheer I madified to fit in (going to put the table for this in today and start mounting the brake). After doing so math calcs, the frame should easily take 100 ton (math says 106 tons per side) but chances are I wont go anywhere near that as the hydraulics are going to be pricey the bigger I go.
After deciding to build it (it was that or scrap the HF brake 3 in 1 thing because it was useless) so I could have a working brake and sheer, but quickly found out I could use it for more than that. Plan on making a broaching set up as well as a die punch system. I guess right now its one step at a time, finish cleaning up the welds and then start sticking the brake/sheer bits on the table.

Sat the table in place on the bottom of the frame yesterday, but then decided I needed leg bracing just to play safe (estimate the thing to be about 1000 lb or so when its done)

IMAG0196.jpg

IMAG0196.jpg

Well, got the HF pile of crap 3 in 1 mounted (2 in one now lol) and finally got the springs cut to the right size (takes about 200+ lbs to get the brake to close).

IMAG0202.jpg

Once I finish the cable system to raise the table (plus one for the press table I will add later) I can go get the hydraulic stuff.

IMAG0202.jpg

why does it take so much pressure to close? I'm guessing b/c of the springs?

why does it take so much pressure to close? I'm guessing b/c of the springs?

Yea, its the force of the springs (old Cx-500 fork springs). I wanted a way to hold both the brake and sheer open without using top hung springs, as I plan on adding a second table above the brake unit for pressing, punching and broaching. I figure since I will be using a lot of down pressure having stiff springs wont hurt and will make sure the unit opens when the piston is retracted.
Now that the brake sheer is basically done, time to install the pulleys for a cable lift system. Going to use a small hand winch and 3/16" cable to raise and lower the unit, and by doubling the cable run via pulleys it should take only 1/2 the force to lift the thing (probably about 350+ pounds). Once i get that done I can go out an see what kind of power unit and cylinder I can afford.

Well, time to pick up the cylinder Im going to use (6" bore, 10" stroke, 50 Ton) and work on mounting it

1200083.jpg

With any luck I can get it to mount up without having to weld on to the cylinder.

1200083.jpg

Well, picked it up and also grabbed a power unit as it was $200 off :)

8458069.jpg

Type Multifunction
Voltage Rating 230 V AC
Horsepower Rating 3 HP
Duty Cycle Continuous
Relief Valve Setting 3,000 PSI
Relief Valve Range 1,450 - 3,000 PSI
Max. Continuous Flow 3.5 GPM
Port Size 6 ORBM
Reservoir Size 2.25 gal.

Now the fun part of mounting the stuff lol

8458069.jpg

Well, been having fun the last week working on a way to mount the cylinder without welding to it. Came up with a "carrier" that will hold it via the pin mount, as well as allow the rear of the cylinder to put operating pressure on not only the pin, but the rear of the cylinder. Made the rear plate area and rail grabs 1", with the sides that tie top to bottom 1/2".

IMAG0207.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

Just need to weld on the bottom "grab bars" and the bearing runners and it will be done

IMAG0208.jpg IMAG0207.jpg

Back