Universal Press project

stern

Active User
Registered
After having my HF POS 3 in 1 unit sitting on a bench in pieces (took it apart to make floor space) I decided to either use it or chuck it. Since I want to do some broaching I am in need of a press, so figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone. Going to make a press that will contain the brake and sheer sections of the HF crud box, as well as being able to be used as a regular press. Shooting for a press cable of at least 50 ton (frame will do 4 times that) even though I wont ever need than much.
Have cut down the HF unit and put back together to operate by down force (none of this force up stuff) and should have it done by the end of the day. Here is a pic where Im at (need to make a back guide/brace for the upper brake section to slide on, then add springs).

View attachment 60616

View attachment 60615

Once this is done I can start on the press frame, just need to figure out what a good distance (length) would be for the legs (using 3" x 3" angle and putting casters on it). Going to dig and see if there is a standard anywhere about how long to make legs (horizontal angle) based on the height of the press to prevent tipping. Not sure if this has a name, but Im calling it the "maximum angle of tip" lol or where the center of gravity shifts to past the legs (which I will call the "OMG RUN" point) :)

Well, didnt get started on the press frame as I spent all day trying to finish up the brake/sheer. Finally got the guide brackets done and now just have to cut the springs to length (was going to do it now, but the wife wants to go to a movie lol).

View attachment 60631

Since the springs are no big deal, going to start on the press frame hopefully tomorrow.

Well thanks to a lot of help, I have finally finalized the steel bits I will use for my press. Once the frame is assembled it should be good for 100+ Tons according to the math lol. Doubt it will be used for anything more than an absolute max of 50 Ton, probably less based on what the hydraulics will cost me. Still, making the frame strong was important, and O cant wait to get the thing put together. (takes a while welding the sides and making the legs). Sides are done and are 3 " x 4" x 5/16" steel tube pairs.

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0174.jpg

Well thanks to a lot of help, I have finally finalized the steel bits I will use for my press. Once the frame is assembled it should be good for 100+ Tons according to the math lol. Doubt it will be used for anything more than an absolute max of 50 Ton, probably less based on what the hydraulics will cost me. Still, making the frame strong was important, and O cant wait to get the thing put together. (takes a while welding the sides and making the legs). Sides are done and are 3 " x 4" x 5/16" steel tube pairs.

View attachment 60681

Good progress! I've got a press started but need to put in the pusher plate for the jack to sit on.

What is that bike in your avatar? Looks a little like mine. :rofl:

How's the MIL? :LOL:

Thats my 1982 CX-500C that I picked up 4 years ago for a "fit up and sell" project. After rebuilding it and taking it for a test spin down the road (never been on a motorcycle before) ended up in a ditch with it on top of me, with a large gash in my leg. At that moment I knew I had to keep it LOL Took the course and now ride it a lot. Also have a 79 GL1000 in the garage (which takes up a lot of space) that Im rebuilding.

Now, just have to make enough floor space to get the legs assembled and then I can finally start putting it together.

Thats my 1982 CX-500C that I picked up 4 years ago for a "fit up and sell" project. After rebuilding it and taking it for a test spin down the road (never been on a motorcycle before) ended up in a ditch with it on top of me, with a large gash in my leg. At that moment I knew I had to keep it LOL Took the course and now ride it a lot. Also have a 79 GL1000 in the garage (which takes up a lot of space) that Im rebuilding.

Now, just have to make enough floor space to get the legs assembled and then I can finally start putting it together.

This is DanCX500.....

Hey Dan, how is everything :) . Dont mind me Ive been brain dead for the last month LMAO (trying to shake off a bout of pneumonia ) Been jumping back and forth between here and the CX forum when I get any free time (work is really starting to mess with my plans lol). Did get a free day today and finished off the base for the press.

IMAG0175.jpg

Stuck some cut off's where the sides will go and it all fits good :) Think I may drill the holes in the sides before welding them in place, may be a bit easier to get the holes straight through. Even got the sides cut for the bender/sheer platform. I will probably weld that up tomorrow so its easier to get in place before putting the sides on lol.
IMAG0178.jpg

IMAG0175.jpg IMAG0178.jpg

Well, getting closer, got the base and sides painted and had time to make up the brake table.

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0181.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

Now today I can prep and paint the table and start with making the pin holes. think I will also cut the top section and maybe weld the sides in place on the base.

IMAG0182.jpg IMAG0180.jpg IMAG0181.jpg

Well, after welding the top on I stood back and was a bit surprised just how big the damn thing is lol

IMAG0199.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

Back