Two hours wasted.

I spent 2 hours looking for my cotter pins. I remember I pulled them out of one of my organizers and moved them to my machine shop, and didn't remember what I did with them.
I'm glad I built a new shop before hitting 60. It is slowly getting harder to remember where I put stuff. Hopefully the future reorganizing will be less drastic. Talk about first world problems ;)

I think it was Mikey who said you should never move anything, and man was he right. Now when I store something new I use the first place that comes to mind and try to never move it. I have been flirting with disaster moving the Checkel and all my stuff related to it into a new rollaway. What Woodchucker went through is just so common and frustrating I try to avoid it as much as possible. In my case if my wires get crossed about what it looks like I’m in deep yogurt. I think that was part of the problem with the deburring tool as one is black and one is red and Mr.Magoo was not registering the color I guess.

Teach your robot where everything is, then you can just ask him

It's kind of like squirrel hunting. If you know the squirrel is in a tree,you can sit down and wait and eventually the squirrel will show but if you don't know which tree the squirrel is in, it is usually a fool's errand.

Knowing the general location of a missing item, you can diligently and methodically search until you find it. But if you don't know the location, you are on that fool's errand. I have multiple locations in multiple buildings where an item may logically be expected to reside. When I deposited the item, the location was perfectly logical. But logic changes with time and unfortunately, my memory is far from what it once was.

I had the idea to lable each shelf , bin, bucket with a number a number and when I deposited an item, I would enter the location number in a spreadsheet. Kind of like the indexing system libraries use. This would certainly work if and only if I could maintain the discipline. One monkey wrench in the works would be to remember what I called an item at the time. I have enough trouble finding old posts that I have made on the forum. Sigh.

Back