Turning my garage into my little machine shop

Looks great so far! Will be a proper work shop.

Today i divorced that paint roller! Did my last coat of epoxy on the concrete. Although there is still just one section that just wants to peel up in the corner and a section in the middle of the floor. I am thinking to maybe use kiltz paint to go over the 2 spots? The corner section i almost want to say screw it because i will have my material rack in front of it and it is an inside wall not an outside wall. Its still just a garage so it doesnt have to be perfect but i would like to get a single coat of epoxy over that section to have a fully sealed floor. No pictures todays but i do have a picture from yesterday when i did the first coat of the peeled section.
BEF2C455-9315-4C78-98B9-3BBA6666766B.jpeg
Cost: 821$
Hours of Labor: 47.75

Today i have been taking care of that pesty location that keeps peeling. Scraped the peelings off and painted a behr primer sealer on the area to help bond. 2 coats and now i have 1 coat of epoxy on. In another hour i can do another coat and if all goes well i shall start putting my shop together again tmr night.

Cost: 850$
Hours of Labor: 49

Well since my last update i had a lot of heat and then took a mini vacation with my wife for our 5th Anniversary. When i got back i just had no ambition to get back into the shop until today.

Today i lagged my material rack to the concrete wall and bought some pvc pipe to organize all of my material i got. Boy it took a couple hours but i got it. I then organized the shop a little again. Next i will be cleaning my machines up so i have a fresh start on them.

Cost: 890$
Hours of Labor: 55

Attachments

• 5EBABC07-A114-468B-8E33-C627BBB1C938.jpeg
    5EBABC07-A114-468B-8E33-C627BBB1C938.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
That stock rack is very nice but not near BIG enough!
Robert

No it isnt big enough. Idk what i am gonna do if i need to get bigger stuff. Ill figure it out then.

I love the idea of that rack, though. I have shelves that I built up from 2x4s and plywood. I'm going to go up one side with sections of pipe, now that I've seen this. I've got rods taking up shelf space that could be much better organized with the tubes.

Id love to build onto the walls but to find the studs is a nightmare

I've tried various methods of finding studs -
1. Look for nail depressions in the drywall. Sometimes works in a shop or garage, hopeless on finished house walls
2. "Woodpecker method" ... drill a series of 1/16" holes about 1/2" apart, marking those that don't go thru to air. Usually not acceptable for house walls. Once you've found one stud, you can hope they built the wall correctly and look 16" away for the next one.
3. Classic "grope and hope" single LED stud finder, swept across the drywall. Sometimes works OK, other times it's nearly worthless
4. Horizontal multiple LED bar sensors.

The first one I bought was from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Whole-Stud-Detector-ESF5001/302738348
It "kinda" worked, but was a real dog to use. You had to hold down both of the relatively stiff switches to turn it on or keep it on. So whenever you wanted to mark the wall with a pencil and let go of one switch, the thing turned off. And it took about 10 seconds to restart, slowing the process down very frustratingly.

Then I bought "the good one" -
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 3.37.30 PM.jpg
This is a real gem! Turns on instantly, one button in the center, nice wide LED bar, deep sensitivity, even a place to store the pencil. WELL worth the money!

I don't recall where I bought it. It's availalble on eBay for $66.40

There are similar units (Franklin Sensors ProSensor 710) made by another company. I don't know how handy they are.

Last edited:
I use rare earth magnets to find the drywall screws/nails. I found ordinary magnets were not strong enough but rare earth magnets jump out of my fingers when they get close to a nail or screw head.

Back