Turning my garage into my little machine shop

Hmmm ... Hadn't thought of that one! Sounds like a great solution for finished walls inside the house.

When they did the walls in the garage they layed out slats going across the wall so cant find the main studs so easily

When they did the walls in the garage they layed out slats going across the wall so cant find the main studs so easily

I had a house like that.
Reno’ed the kitchen and I hung the cabinets on one wall I could not find the studs.
When I reno’ed the bathroom that shared that wall I discovered why; all the studs had been cut off at the sill plate and the new stud ‘wall’ was pieced together with 2xs of random lengths.
Oh how I loathed working on that place.

Thank you for posting this. I was struggling with my old crappy stud finder today. I really need a good one.
Robert

Dont get me wrong the walls are all studded 16 on center but i guess they wanted to close the wall out a little more? Idk its an old and sometimes you make do with what you had.

I use rare earth magnets to find the drywall screws/nails
This is a very good method and is almost foolproof. For lathe and plaster walls I take it one step further and build a small stack of magnets — maybe and inch or so long — and then holding it like a pen gently between the fingers it’s possible to pick out the pull from the two small lath nails behind the plaster. For really deep penetration (more than 5/8” say), a 3/4” flat rare earth magnet suspended from a fine string like a pendulum works well too. By hanging the magnet from the thread there’s a lot more sensitivity but it can be liable for false triggers though.

-frank

I got an app on my phone. It uses the phones compass to detect disturbances in the ether caused by the screws, but that "strong magnet" trick sounds like the bee's knees.

Another good give-away, is that boxes for outlets and switches are mounted on studs normally. That helps you find the first one, then hope the rest are 16" on center. The building codes here allows walls that are not load bearing to be 24" on center, which screws everything up.

Well i put most of the boxes in and kind of poked and prayed id find something sturdy. I also ended up using the drywall threaded nuts to make some stuff sturdy

Back