Turning Between Centers

Would you get the same performance if you were to use a straight shank to Morse taper adapter and chuck it in with a dead center?

Would you get the same performance if you were to use a straight shank to Morse taper adapter and chuck it in with a dead center?

If you mean to put the straight shank in your chuck then you'll get no better performance than you would with just the chuck. If you can't put a center in the taper of your spindle chuck up a piece of round stock, turn a 60 degree center on the end of it, and use that. It will be more precise than a center in the spindle taper.

I have heard the "turn in place" type of taper referred to as a "sacrificial center". You cannot get any more accurate than that. It is the technique I use when I turn between centers, partially because my lathe has a jarno taper in the headstock (wth?), and I don't have a Jarno taper center or an adapter, but mostly because I am lazy, and hate pulling the chuck off. I usually have an odd piece of steel laying around that can be touched up, and it's fast.

Thanks to ally you guys who have given info about the centres.
may I chime in on this thread and asks a question

The ( 1943 ish) Sphere 10 inch lathe ( Similar to an Atlas of the same size & era) that I now own has two parallel highly polished centres about 2& 1/2 inches long ( 75 mm ) There are no Morse taper adaptors with a parallel hole to fit them in .

I understand that one does not normally put such centres in the chuck because of the extreme harness of both items , but get a sneaky feeling that these are to be used as one for the three jaw chuck and one in the four jaw chuck when doing between centres turning whilst using either a dead or a live centre in the tailstock >

Am I correct in my assumptions ?

Opinions & suggestions most welcome

Back