Turning Between Centers

Hutch

Active User
Registered
Never have done it. I understand the tailstock end. I understand using a dog and a face plate on the headstock end. I don't understand the headstock center. Do you machine one? Is the center held in the spindle or on the faceplate. I don't have a visual so I can't comprehend. Can someone help?

Thank you, guys.

Hutch

You use a spindle center adapter and a dead center in the spindle hole. Most lathes have a Morse taper spindle hole, but some are a proprietary taper.

Last edited by a moderator:
You get a dead center that fits your spindle.

In a pinch I've also chucked a piece of metal in the chuck and turned a 60° point using the compound. I leave the point chucked and the lathe dog rides up against the side of one of the chuck jaws.

Chris

Hutch,
If you check your headstock spindle you should find that it is tapered. Often 1 size bigger than your tailstock, ie TS=MT2, then HS=MT3

Put a dead centre dead centre.jpg in your spindle, (it should run perfectly centred). Depending on the amount/level/force of machining required you may need to use a dog to drive the work. For light work friction alone is often enough to drive the work.

Running, (live) centre live centre.jpg is used in your tailstock.
You can safely remove your work from between these 2 and check for fit etc. re-install and be spot on perfect again. This is why most face plates have a hole in the centre to allow the dead centre to protrude if you need to use a dog. If a dog is not required then the face plate wont be needed either

Cheers Phil

dead centre.jpg live centre.jpg

That's actually more precise than using a center in the spindle taper as the latter will have at least a tiny bit of runout whereas a newly-turned center left in place is right on the spindle axis.

You can turn a center in a three or four jaw chuck. I think they are 60 degree angle. The trick is every time you remove it you may need to re-face it. Use the jaws to drive the dog. I have done it before.

OP,

Thank you for posting the question.

Would a Morse taper to solid straight shank adapter and a dead center be good enough to accomplish the task?

Back