Turboprop

Wow, that metal looks like a bear to work with- I believe I have some Monel tube I was going to try cutting just to learn- great website Bill

Bernie

Bill,
I personally think you are up to the challenge of building the turbo-prop engine with few issues. Exotic materials always seem to be a hurdle when you first set out to do something like a turbine, but once you get the basic info of the nuts and bolts how to machine it you will do great. That P&W is a beauty and I can hardly wait to see it run when your done with it. Do you have a model or frame you are planning to put it in or just a static display stand. I would love to see the true output of that engine measured on an SAE approved test fixture. I bet the power and torque will be in the realm of absolutely amazing. Is all you have left to do the heads on the radial or still have other minor sub-assemblies before it is complete? A Merlin from a P-51 would be a great subject too. Several of those have been done already though so the turbo prop is definitely going to be different too. Thanks for the great builds and sharing your knowledge and expertise with us like you do. I'm sure you have launched the hobby among a bunch of folks over the last couple of years I have been following your work. Have a great rest of the week and an even better weekend ahead.

Bob

Wow. I'm still at the stage where I'm excited about using my new mill to make a simple bracket for the engine mount on my ultralight; I can't imagine having the patience to tackle a project of this magnitude. Good luck to you.

(What I'd like to see is a turboshaft engine in the 40-50HP range...)

The longest part of the job will be converting all the dimensions to imperial !

Mike

PS : Remember i've got a braille metric depth micrometer if you need it Bill ? :lmao:

The longest part of the job will be converting all the dimensions to imperial !

Mike

PS : Remember i've got a braille metric depth micrometer if you need it Bill ? :lmao:

:roflmao::roflmao:

"Billy G"

When you buy the gears, maybe we can team-up and get some discount.
The gears is the hardest part to acquire for this turbine, I reckon some more home builders may be interested?
I for sure would love to have a gear set (or two).
Regards,
Jeroen

I will be cutting the gears myself. Let me know if you want them also.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. I'm still at the stage where I'm excited about using my new mill to make a simple bracket for the engine mount on my ultralight; I can't imagine having the patience to tackle a project of this magnitude. Good luck to you.

(What I'd like to see is a turboshaft engine in the 40-50HP range...)

40-50 HP, sounds like an interesting challenge.

"Billy G"

Back