Turboprop

Re: Turbopeop

That is going to be amazing. I have as much chance of pulling this off as a pig has of flying, but I downloaded the plans anyway. Can't wait to see you build this!

Re: Turbopeop

What's the matter Bill? Too busy finding all the sweet deals to start a new project? :p :biggrin:

I'll be looking forward to watching this one.

Thanks,

-Ron

Sorry, can't start this one till I get the other done. That 18 cylinder is about to take up some serious time. The heads take 37 hours each. 20 times 37 is a bunch. If my math is correct that is 740 hours. Ouch.

"Billy G"

Very cool project. I'm surprised that the tubes in the combustors are just silver soldered in place. I'll be watching for sure.

hi it looks like a while before it gets started, but i'll be waiting with baited breath:LOL: iv'e been looking for the longest time for these plans the site i found that engine on but no plans at that time.now i can start looking into for this project, like having to build a small spot welder.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for sharing this info

Two set-backs. #1, gears are no longer available. They will need to be custom made. Got it covered. #2 The turbine wheel castings are "Inconel". This stuff is far beyond the machining scope of most home shops. It is a real bear to machine. Food for DEEP THOUGHT. :lmao:

"Billy G"

#2 The turbine wheel castings are "Inconel". This stuff is far beyond the machining scope of most home shops. It is a real bear to machine. Food for DEEP THOUGHT. :lmao:

"Billy G"

Tell me about it. It seems like a cross between 400 stainless and Rockwell 60 hardened alloy. I need to call Greanleaf guys to find-out what kind of cutter to use. Oh, and did I mention, it seems to work harden easily?

Ray

Speed and Feed are extremely important Ray. You think Inconel is tough, try Stellite. That stuff is bad news all around. I don't remember for sure but the last time I turned Inconel I was trying a Ceramic Insert. Even that was tough sledding.

"Billy G"

I have two pieces of it here for my project. One is a small round about 1.5" dia, 3" long for a test piece. Yikes! That's all I can say. Need to do some reading before I get serious with it. If you have any clues, I'm all ears.

Ray

Speed and Feed are extremely important Ray. You think Inconel is tough, try Stellite. That stuff is bad news all around. I don't remember for sure but the last time I turned Inconel I was trying a Ceramic Insert. Even that was tough sledding.

"Billy G"

Back