Trying to turn stainless steel taper.

That doest sound toooo bad but, I buy mine on fleabay, but I can't remember now what those cost. Is that a venders price or where did you source that one? Is it korloy or another brand?If you can afford it and it is genuine, I think you can go for it. Just remember that some ebay stuff is not bad quality and others......well. As the rule goes, buyer be ware. That being said, if the quality suck, contact the seller.

That doest sound toooo bad but, I buy mine on fleabay, but I can't remember now what those cost. Is that a venders price or where did you source that one? Is it korloy or another brand?If you can afford it and it is genuine, I think you can go for it. Just remember that some ebay stuff is not bad quality and others......well. As the rule goes, buyer be ware. That being said, if the quality suck, contact the seller.
It’s Korloy on Amazon. Do you know anything about turning tapers?

If you can afford it, take it, they will last you quit a long time. I turn them by setting the compound. Check out Jo Pi's youtube video about setting tge compound. Good info.

If you can afford it, take it, they will last you quit a long time. I turn them by setting the compound. Check out Jo Pi's youtube video about setting tge compound. Good info.
You can’t do more than a couple inches setting the compound, I don’t think? I will have to watch that.

No you can't but you can still use his method to set your angle. Let us know what you decided on the inserts and if it worked for you.

I've had luck with CCGX (designed for aluminum) inserts in stainless. They are super sharp and leave a stunning finish. Same concept as using HSS. Sharp cutting edge, low cutting HP and pressure.

Edit: I see this has been recommended above. I buy them from ebay or AliExpress at ~$10 per box of 10. Long shipping time usually but cheap. Korloy brand (or knockoff of it)

Last edited:
I didn't see the difference between CCMT and CCGT explained. The M stands for molded insert, the G stands for ground. The ground insert will have a sharper cutting edge than the molded one. This has nothing to do with the suitability for machining a particular material, that is determined by the grade of carbide.

Back