Trying to turn stainless steel taper.

Just curious, should one cover their ways all the time when working, or only when sanding? Also, am I going to destroy this pm1236 by working on stainless so much?

I use carbide wnmg PC9030 inserts on stainless. You said you have a ccmt holder? You get ccmt with a 4mm nose radius in PC9030. It machine stainless very well for me. In fact, and some my differ from me but I use the pc9030 wnmg on almost everything for years and I can't say that there is extra wear because I use it for different material.

That will fit the shanks I use? I’m still learning about shanks and insert designation.

If you have a ccmt external turning holder then look at the number on the holder and look up the insert size for that tipe of holder. The pc9030 is the insert grade for stainless steel turning. If I am wrong, then please correct me any of our seasoned members. Can you post a pic of the holder you are using? You won't damage your lathe cutting stainless, what lathe beds don't like is gritt or gritt like paste like cast iron dust mixed with oil and grinding dust, tgat will ruin your lathe bed. The chips itself is wiped away with the way wipers. As for covering way beds, I can only suggest wiping it as often as possible and if you want you can bolt a piece of plate or plexiglass onto your carriage where your steadyrest bolt on. Just long enough so when you are near the chuck that the plexiglass or plate doesn't hit the headstock behind the chuck and wide enough to cover the bed ways. That will also help keep chips of the way beds. My two cents.

Michael.

If you have a ccmt external turning holder then look at the number on the holder and look up the insert size for that tipe of holder. The pc9030 is the insert grade for stainless steel turning. If I am wrong, then please correct me any of our seasoned members. Can you post a pic of the holder you are using? You won't damage your lathe cutting stainless, what lathe beds don't like is gritt or gritt like paste like cast iron dust mixed with oil and grinding dust, tgat will ruin your lathe bed. The chips itself is wiped away with the way wipers. As for covering way beds, I can only suggest wiping it as often as possible and if you want you can bolt a piece of plate or plexiglass onto your carriage where your steadyrest bolt on. Just long enough so when you are near the chuck that the plexiglass or plate doesn't hit the headstock behind the chuck and wide enough to cover the bed ways. That will also help keep chips of the way beds. My two cents.

Michael.
Thank you, I have been using paper for the time being. I will look into those inserts. They will fit my shank.

What kind of tool are you using to cut the material? And are you cutting stainless or tool steel? I don't understand your setup as described. How about a photo?
Sorry, I don’t know how I missed this, but here is the photos.

Attachments

• E4E88597-5964-4128-94F8-35ECDE3FAB31.jpeg
    E4E88597-5964-4128-94F8-35ECDE3FAB31.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 42
  • 13FFBE4F-378B-4F0D-B406-C48FD00887E4.jpeg
    13FFBE4F-378B-4F0D-B406-C48FD00887E4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • 9D2D6AA1-30E2-4D92-93C5-0393581E33B7.jpeg
    9D2D6AA1-30E2-4D92-93C5-0393581E33B7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
  • EFBBED93-1C10-4169-9FC2-72E9A49E3EB8.jpeg
    EFBBED93-1C10-4169-9FC2-72E9A49E3EB8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
I was gonna say the ccgt would damn near crumble if I tried to use it with this setup. You like these for 304, or are you just a fan in general.

Back