Trying to remove old tool post

I would agree it is likely pressed in the bottom and has a pin to prevent rotating so it won’t screw out for you.

something different to consider. On one of my lathes in the past I had same issue with that post too short. In my case the new quick change also had a larger hole than the post so there was room to work with. I left the post in and made a sleeve to fit over that post with threads in the top of the sleeve only. Make fitting sleeve on lathe, drill or bore down into it until an inch or so left for hole size to be threaded. So slip the sleeve over the post and thread it on(And make it with a top all one piece, looks like a mushroom) drill the top head for a handle to pull it tight. One tip on where to put the handle in is to put it together and tighten it down with channel locks with something protecting the surface. Mark where you want the handle when it is tight and drill it in

It is likely the threads are metric

I was wondering about that. Have you thought about making a QCTP. I made a Norman style QCTP for my lathe. The Norman style QCTP's are easy to make and only require a lathe and a drill to make. You could make the Norman post to thread onto the existing post like Cadillac STS suggested. Dumb question probably but what does the manual for lathe say about how the post is attached to the compound.

And welcome to the forum. We are a friendly bunch who love to help people solve their problems.

@Jm1297

Listen to the sage advice given above and see if you can learn more about the assembly.

Failing that, my preferred tools for removing a threaded-in stud (without substantial damage to any existing thread on it) is to use either a pipe wrench:

1625441548531.png

or stud remover:
1625441599146.png

Having both in your kit will serve you well.

-brino

The stud on my 7x12 lathe screws into the compound. It is a 10 x 1.5mm stud, so a little unusual.

A few words of warning. The OEM stud is only partially threaded on that end because it's possible to lock up (or damage) the cross slide by screwing an off-the-shelf 10 x 1.5mm all the way through the compound so it hits the cross slide. You also don't want to inadvertently flip the OEM stud around if you remove it for some reason and then re-install it.

Back