Trying to remove old tool post

Jm1297

Registered
Registered
I have a mini lathe 7 x 12 that I wanted to put a quick change tool post on but the original tool post has a rod with threads on it that I cant remove. I cant find a nut that will fit on the threads so that I can do that two nut trick to twist it off. I have a thread gauge and everything. Is there some other way to get it off?

Attachments

• IMG_20210704_134123.jpg
    IMG_20210704_134123.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 141
I just thought of it right right after posting this, I'm going to try and repair the threads with a die.

Have you pulled the compound off to see what it looks like from the bottom? might be a press fit.

The rod I have to replace it has a small band of threads on the bottom so it could be threaded. I'm going to try repairing the threads and do the two nut thing tomorrow.
Have you pulled the compound off to see what it looks like from the bottom? might be a press fit

Why do you need to remove the existing post? There are lots of mini lathe QCTP's to choose from. Everything from DIY/home made to ready made QCTP's. And they all mount on the post on the compound.

I will throw in that it might be a good time to upgrade your compound from one of Little Machine Shop's offerings. They have a modified compound which is supposed to produce a bit less tool chatter than the standard compound.

I wouldn't try unscrewing that post using the 2 nut method. Those are usually pressed in from the bottom & pinned to prevent rotating. As Matthew said, take the compound slide off & look at the bottom side.

Whoa! Take the compound apart. I think that you will find that on the bottom side of the compound you will see a flange. So instead of pulling it out you may have to push it out . Even though I have a 8", mine has a flange and is press fitted in.

Back