Trying To Polish Delrin

chips&more

Active User
Registered
I need a product or method or both to put a nice deep shine on black colored Delrin, any ideas? It's a lathe project made out of Delrin and has a tool mark finish, but I want it shiny with no scratches showing. Thank you in advance…Dave.

I need a product or method or both to put a nice deep shine on black colored Delrin, any ideas? It's a lathe project made out of Delrin and has a tool mark finish, but I want it shiny with no scratches showing. Thank you in advance…Dave.

HSS with VERY high rake and relief angles. I'd try 15 degrees first, maybe more. Put a nice smooth radius on the leading cutting edge, maybe 0.030". Stone the edges keen and smooth.

I've not tried delrin for this, but will passing it through a flame give the finish you need?

<EDIT> did some surfing on this. Flame polishing is possible but difficult. consensus is you can't do it by hand. Set up a torch and do it in the lathe.

Last edited:
I have spent some time in the shop tonight and I’m quickly noticing that Delrin does not easily polish up like other plastics…hmmm. Still looking for an idea.

Are you using a polishing compound on it after sanding? I've had some good results with them on various plastics (i haven't tried delrin though).

i even managed to buff out some glasses lenses recently from 1000 grit to clear vision in a few minuits.

Stuart

Dave--I haven't tried it on Delrin but it probably should work---I've done a lot of wood carving and my favorite stain and black polish was shoe polish--Kiwi black paste---you could polish it nice and add another coating and polish again---if you have the piece on your lathe--just spin it and polish it with a soft rag----just use a small piece and make sure not to have your carriage and compound close to cause danger---I also used shoe polish on wood lathe projects--the spinning causes a small amount of heat to let the rag shine it up nice---just use caution not to get too close to the jaws of your chuck----Dave

I am just finishing up a project in delrin. I used my ball turner to shape the pieces and so didn't have the option of a HHS cutter (which would have been better) or power feed. So I got it close then used sandpaper with K1 on it. Worked down to 600 grit then took it to the buffer with standard tripoli. It got it fairly well. It still has some lines in it but the project had lots of parts so I didn't spend to much time on the buffer with each. 100_9912.JPG Hope that is of some help.

Jeff

100_9912.JPG

Back when I used to turn Delrin balls, I used a HHS tool with a zero degree backrake. Hone the edge to a razor sharp edge. Use the biggest radius you can get by with, too. Doing this left very fine tool marks almost unnoticed. Would take a piece of 400 grit emery cloth and gently polish to remove tool marks. Doing this would always leave a nice smooth surface, tool mark free.

I have now tried emery paper down to 1200. Various polishing componds with the part in the lathe at high speeds. And my buffer at low speed with buffing rouge. Nothing is giving me the results I’m looking for or expected from a material in the plastic family. I will keep trying, but later. Our tankless water heater just broke and we need hot water. Thanks for all the input…Dave.

Dave,

If you are trying to make a seal out of this, you don't want to remove all the tool makes. When you tighten the gland nut, the Delrin will smear, flatten the tool marks and seal.
I wouldn't worry about it. If you have to, wrap a piece of Teflon tape around the Delrin for more "sealing". If I was doing this, I would use a piece of 100 virgin Teflon to make seals out of. But I realize you are in a bind and just using what you have on hand.

Good Luck!

the Pen makers have a kit for the plastic pens that should work try wood working supply houses

Back