Trying to find the model of Atlas I just purchased.

I think it's known as a 101.07403

I suspect that may be a Craftsman Model Number 101.27440 (36" Between Centers). As stated on the front of a ~1950 manual:
"This is the Model Number of your Lathe. It will be found on the plate located on the rear of the Bed..." http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=3396

Look for an aluminum plate similar to the one on the quick change gear attachment.

Craftsman model numbers get confusing, and model number posted on the machine itself is typically not the same as the catalog number. For example, a 1953 catalog (p. 26-7; http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2698) lists a machine much like (identical to?) yours in several configurations (different bed lengths, with/without quick change gear box with catalog numbers like "99 A M2075," "99 A M2743," etc.

Go figure....?

Up until mid-1942 the name plate of the 10" Atlas and the 12" Craftsman lathes was attached to the rear of the bed near the center. However, there wasn't anything specific stamped on the 10" and I don't think there was anything about the 12" either. The serial number and anything else about the specific machine was stamped onto the top of the right end of the front way. As the meaning of the letters and numbers stamped there varied, I have given up on trying to write the meaning and instead request that anyone who wants them deciphered to send me a legible photo.

After mid-1942 the name plate moved to the right end of the bed. And the model and serial number were usually stamped there-on. In the case of the QCGB, when it first came out, if ordered separately, there was a nameplate with the GB model number engraved or stamped on it and one of the dust cover plates that was changed out had the model number plate mounting holes punched in it. What was done with factory installed QCGB's I don't yet know.

Last edited:
I meant to say earlier that the Sears catalog number and the model number were different and that the model number stayed the same whereas the catalog number didn't usually,

Is it me or does that badge with the model number look like it doesn't fit? Looks like someone tried to put the plate on there but it didn't fit.

I have a 12" x 18" lathe very similar to this one. Mine was a 101.07403 that I added a QCGB to. The QCGB has holes for some sort of plate, but mine did not have the plate.

The model number plate for mine is on the back side of the ways in the middle.

I found this. That plate is the part number for the QCGB. This lists all the lathes it fits, so maybe that will help narrow it down:
Capture.PNG

18422 stamped on top of the right end of the front way is the serial number. I have written several times recently that up until sometime in 1942 the nameplate was located near the center of the rear of the bed and had nothing pertaining to the individual machine stamped on it. In 1942, the nameplate was relocated to the right end of the bed and the serial number and model number were moved from the front way to the nameplate where they remained through 1981. However, although that seems to be true for the Atlas machines, it may not be true of the Craftsman ones. or the change may have come later. Or 18422 may be older than we thought.

I am handicapped at present due to a screw-up with the DBDOS installation on my workstation.

That looks a lot like my Craftsman 101-27430, but mine is a 24" bed. Does yours have 3/8" or 1/2" ways? Mine is 3/8".

After thinking about the matter for several days, I came to the following conclusion. The model number that the machine had when originally built was 101.07403. I gather from what the owner has or hasn't written that no nameplate was found on the lathe other than the one for the QCGB which was found near the GB. This indicates that the QCGB was an add-on because after the QCGB came out, two new model numbers were added from about mid-1947 to indicate the two final versions of the 12" with GB. And that the lathe was originally completed without the GB. The two final models of the 3/8" bed 12 in. lathe that came with the GB installed did not have a separate nameplate for the GB.

Ok I haven’t been monitoring this site. But I’m new at this so give me some leniency for my stupidity. Linn would say the rear of the bed I was thinking that was the right side of the lane as being rear. So I’m looking around all right side where it was mounted to the table. I ended up mounting it and redoing the table my life in the process. I found a nameplate what is meant by the rear bed. It is a 101.07403 and the serial number is 18422. So by what you are saying it is an early 40’s machine. So I bought a manual is a 24th edition published in’68. My question is can I use this manual or should I find one that is an edition from that time period?

Back