Trying to find the model of Atlas I just purchased.

Hdsteve

Registered
Registered
Looking for someone that can help me become familiar with a Craftsman lathe I purchased. The guy I purchased it from told me it was a 10 inch swing by 36 inch lathe, but when I got home, I realize that it’s actually a12. IMG_2326.pngIMG_2327.pngIMG_2332.jpegIMG_2333.jpegI’m trying to figure out more information about it. The only model number that I can come up with is on the gearbox 101.20140 and when I search that number I realize it’s the model number of the gearbox only. And I read somewhere that it was stamped on the way, but the only number that I can find that stamped on the way closest to where the operator is 18422. I can’t find an identity plate anywhere else. What would be the best way to find out what I have TIA.

Most of the lathes that Sears sold between about 1936 and 1981 were made by Atlas and that is how they are shown here. That was the case with your 12 x 36.,

After a couple of days I will clean up the site. if someone doesn't beat me to it. I think that you may have already discovered that so there may be duplicates of some of the photo's.

Last edited:
This is a craftsman lathe. So how do I figure out the model number? I can only see the tag and numbers stamped on the way. There is no other tag that I have found. Are all lathes that look like mine the same model?

As Robert said earlier, the majority of the Craftsman Lathes were made by Atlas. Perhaps this link will help you locate the #'s? https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...rial-number-and-model-number-locations.92139/ ... Robert, (wa5cab) does a wonderful job here in this forum and he is a wealth of knowledge. Like many internet forums , the members all have day jobs or other duties so sometimes replies take some time to come in. But you are in good hands here, these guys love to help and will get you sorted in almost no time at all.

As Robert said earlier, the majority of the Craftsman Lathes were made by Atlas. Perhaps this link will help you locate the #'s? https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...rial-number-and-model-number-locations.92139/ ... Robert, (wa5cab) does a wonderful job here in this forum and he is a wealth of knowledge. Like many internet forums , the members all have day jobs or other duties so sometimes replies take some time to come in. But you are in good hands here, these guys love to help and will get you sorted in almost no time at all.
Yeah I read that and I couldn’t find anything. I will look at it again when I get home. But I didn’t see any holes or anything. But I might have not looked in the right place. I’m new on here and having trouble navigating the site. Is there a picture where it would be?

Yeah I read that and I couldn’t find anything. I will look at it again when I get home. But I didn’t see any holes or anything. But I might have not looked in the right place. I’m new on here and having trouble navigating the site. Is there a picture where it would be?

I don't have a Craftsman / Atlas but I thought the numbers for at least some of these we on the end - far right - where it bolts to the base. and the 5 digits you shared a picture of, I believe that's the serial numbers.

I don't have a Craftsman / Atlas but I thought the numbers for at least some of these we on the end - far right - where it bolts to the base. and the 5 digits you shared a picture of, I believe that's the serial numbers.
I looked all around back there and couldn’t find anything. I thought it would be obvious but maybe I overlooked it

Back