Trying to find the model of Atlas I just purchased.

The Craftsman/Atlas lathe manual, assuming the one you got has the black cover with silver writing, like this one, will work and is one of the best introductory manuals available for any lathe. The machines didn't really change between the fifties, when you lathe was made, and the late sixties.

I would have to say that you need to have an earlier MOLO because circa 1956 or 1957 Atlas discontinued the 10" and the 3/8" way 12" entirely and came out with a new 12" with 1/2" ways. They made these models for about a decade and then made minor changes and made those until March of 1981 when they quit making the Atlas 12" entirely. Anyway, you should find an early 50's or a late 40's dated MOLO. Some of the tables in your 19668 edition will still be usable but some may not. And most of the photos will be wrong.

I would have to say that you need to have an earlier MOLO because circa 1956 or 1957 Atlas discontinued the 10" and the 3/8" way 12" entirely and came out with a new 12" with 1/2" ways. They made these models for about a decade and then made minor changes and made those until March of 1981 when they quit making the Atlas 12" entirely. Anyway, you should find an early 50's or a late 40's dated MOLO. Some of the tables in your 19668 edition will still be usable but some may not. And most of the photos will be wrong.
That’s a bummer by the time I printed this one I have like $65 into it. I’ll have to keep looking. The only ones I see so far are the ones like I have.

Sorry about that but just reporting the facts at least as I know them. I don't have a firm date for the last 3/8" bed 12" and it is possible that that date may be a little later for Sears than I have said but the first claimed date for a 1/2" bed Sears lathe in 1959. The closest that I know for the change from 3/8" to 1/2" bed or ways is 1956 +/- one.

Back