Trash or treasure?

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Some grinding wheels stuffed in the drawers of my grandfathers old lathe. He's been gone over 20 years...some of these look much older.

I'm not motivated to push my luck with $5 hardware store wheels, but a couple look 'different' and some of the exotic wheels I know can cost a bit...

20130711_201049_zpsf641451f.jpg

20130711_201049_zpsf641451f.jpg

I think there will be different opinions about this but, mine is to hang them on a wall for decoration purposes only.

The binding glue could be bad by now and a wheel blow-up can cost you dearly.

Ray

PS: I agree w/you, the current offering of grinding wheels is a sad state of affairs these days.

EDIT: If you don't throw them away and decide to keep them for a keepsake, you might consider marking and/or rendering them unusable in some appropriate way.

I agree, this is a great idea for a shop wall display.
Don't use em , just admire em .

I would put them on a 1725rpm grinder and dress them slowly--they will probably be just as good or better than new wheels you buy now. of coarse, I don't throw too much away and I've never had a grinding stone break on my grinders--some of my favorite stones are old ones. give them the ring test others have talked about if you think they may be cracked.---I always dress my stones with diamond rather than the old style multible disc type that bounce on the stone.

I would put them on a 1725rpm grinder and dress them slowly--they will probably be just as good or better than new wheels you buy now. of coarse, I don't throw too much away and I've never had a grinding stone break on my grinders--some of my favorite stones are old ones. give them the ring test others have talked about if you think they may be cracked.---I always dress my stones with diamond rather than the old style multible disc type that bounce on the stone.

I agree... I was thinking ring test too, before I Dave's post. Be sure to wear some safety glasses. You will discover real fast if the crumble away while dressing them if they are screws up. Also buy some ID Hole inserts or bushings if the holes are not the same as your grinder spindle shaft. Rich

In the 70's and 80's the shop I worked in had grinding wheels left over from the 40's I was always warned about first start up after that we just dressed them and used them normally never saw a failer I would not be afraid in using them. Ray

I have MANY old grinding wheels,BUT,they do get more brittle with age. They have a shelf life. Be careful with them. Use on well guarded machines and don't run them too fast if you must use them. Some will say don't use them at all.

If i were in your shoes, i'd give them a thorough inspection and give a test run. discard or paperweight the unfit.
i'd dress the wheels and give it a shot with some mild steel if it didn't disintegrate during dressing.
i have used numerous NOS grinding wheels and still have a couple that were my Grandfathers'.
i keep them in the rotation for softer steels. they work beautifully.
Good Luck!!
mike:))

Back