Tractor Repair

Gonna steer like power steering now. good job..

Nice job on the steering. Looks as good as it ever was. Did some similar work to my JD LA.

Paul

Now have to pin the spline on the steering arms, wish I could remember how i did the last one.
Doesn't the nut hold the steering arm in place? Are the splines messed up on the steering arms? From the photos it looks like the splines are fine. Normally the nut gets torqued down to a spec and insert a cotter pin in the nut and your done.

Doesn't the nut hold the steering arm in place? Are the splines messed up on the steering arms? From the photos it looks like the splines are fine. Normally the nut gets torqued down to a spec and insert a cotter pin in the nut and your done.

The spline is tapered so everything pulls up tight when the nut is torqued. The nut must have got loose at some point and the splines wore to the point that the arm now drops below the end of the male taper so it can't be tightened.
The plan is to mount it vertically in the mill with the arm in place, (may have to tack weld it there) then drill down the joint and ream for tapered pins. When the spindles are installed the pins can be driven in to lock the joint before the nut is tightened.

Did one of these a few years ago for someone else, may have even been the same make of tractor.

Greg

What about some custom made, heavy cup washers. With the washers it could be taken apart easily again. unless the taper has got no travel left in it to tighten up, then the pin is your only option.

Last edited:
What about some custom made, heavy cup washers. With the washers it could be taken apart easily again. unless the taper has got no travel left in it to tighten up, then the pin is your only option.

Thats exactly the problem, there's no travel left, the arm is hitting the top of the housing before the taper tightens.

Greg

Managed to get a little time in on the spline repair. Can't quite see it in the photo but used a v-block between the spindle and the 90 deg plate, or what ever its called. Made a spacer to fit below the steering arm and hold it at the correct height, the clamps rare holding the arm level.

IMG_0916.jpg

Drilled down the joint about 1 1/2 inches then reamed with a tapered reamer. Used No 5 tapered pins but had to trim about 3/4 off the end so that they wouldn't bottom out, my next smaller reamer would have set them 1/2 off the bottom of the hole.
Will put 4 pins in the joint, drive them in then cut flush, with the arm above the spline the nut SHOULD pull the arm and pins down together and further tighten the joint.

IMG_0915.jpg

Greg

IMG_0916.jpg IMG_0915.jpg

Managed to get a little time in on the spline repair. Can't quite see it in the photo but used a v-block between the spindle and the 90 deg plate, or what ever its called. Made a spacer to fit below the steering arm and hold it at the correct height, the clamps rare holding the arm level.

View attachment 65880

Drilled down the joint about 1 1/2 inches then reamed with a tapered reamer. Used No 5 tapered pins but had to trim about 3/4 off the end so that they wouldn't bottom out, my next smaller reamer would have set them 1/2 off the bottom of the hole.
Will put 4 pins in the joint, drive them in then cut flush, with the arm above the spline the nut SHOULD pull the arm and pins down together and further tighten the joint.

View attachment 65881

Greg
Oh wow, now I see how badly it was worn. Good repair. :thumbsup:

Back