Tractor Repair

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
These well worn spindles come out of I think an Alis Chamers back hoe.
The steering ran on needle bearings that had worn out and trashed the king pin for a better word. Building up the shaft would have left it too soft for a needle bearing so we're going to use brass bushings. The lower bearing surface was 2 inch, it cleaned up at 1.94, the upper bearing surface had to be built up to clear the spline for the steering arm, the spline is worn too.

Cleaned up and sacrificial brass shim stock in place to protect the spline.

IMG_0896.jpg

Built up with the mig using .035 wire.

IMG_0897.jpg

The bottom of the king pin had a centre hole and I wrapped the threads with brass shim stock to protect them from the jaws.
The spindle coming around was the full of the lathe swing, actually had to loosen the DRO readout and shim it back to clear.
All cleaned up, now bushings and tapered pins to tighten up the steering arm splines.

IMG_0899.jpg

Will post more as we go.

IMG_0896.jpg IMG_0897.jpg IMG_0899.jpg

Coming along nicely. I'm sure that you saved a pretty fair amount of money in the process. It's always a good feeling to rescue an expensive part - like how would they have done it in the 1930's if they had the skills and tools.
Michael

Are you using the carriage with infeed from the cross feed to recut the splines?

attachment.php?attachmentid=65512&d=1386374341&thumb=1.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=65512&d=1386374341&thumb=1.jpg

Michael, they probably had more talent and a lot more ingenuity in the 30's but maybe not the tools. Spindles and steering arms are available but cost more than the tractor is worth.

Dan, just turning the bearing surfaces there, the splines will get a patch job I'm afraid, this isn't a restoration, just a repair.

Greg

Good job, my thought is the spindle doesnt have clearance so its must be a photo illusion. Guess I got gap bed lathe on my mind......

Good job, my thought is the spindle doesnt have clearance so its must be a photo illusion. Guess I got gap bed lathe on my mind......

It clears the bed with maybe a 1/4 inch to spare. Getting in between the spindle and the chuck was just as tight. Had to move the tool post for the left and right cuts, even had to remove the handle from the QCTP.

Greg

I get the most satisfaction out of these types of repairs. Repairing/making obsolete parts and/or saving mucho dollars on an astronomically priced part, these are the things that make me proud to have a particular skill set, it should make you proud too! Good job man.

Marcel

It clears the bed with maybe a 1/4 inch to spare. Getting in between the spindle and the chuck was just as tight. Had to move the tool post for the left and right cuts, even had to remove the handle from the QCTP.

Greg

Yeah, I too thought it wasn't turning because of lack of clearance. That's why I went with the spline cut question.

Looking great!

I get the most satisfaction out of these types of repairs. Repairing/making obsolete parts and/or saving mucho dollars on an astronomically priced part, these are the things that make me proud to have a particular skill set, it should make you proud too! Good job man.

Marcel
Xalky, your statement above are my thoughts also.
Phil

Made the bushings today. The chap Im doing it for had some 2 1/2 solid brass bar. First drilled with my largest bit 1 1/4. Had to reduce the clearance angles, it sure wanted to grab.

IMG_0902.jpg

Then turned the OD and bored to size and parted.

IMG_0903.jpg

The finished product.

IMG_0904.jpg

Now have to pin the spline on the steering arms, wish I could remember how i did the last one.

IMG_0904.jpg IMG_0903.jpg IMG_0902.jpg

Back