Tools Used Less Than Expected

CJ5Dave

Registered
Registered
This is the opposite of the popular thread on things used more than expected. What did you buy and use less than you thought? For me a 10 ton porta power. When they were on sale I had no money, when I had money none in stock. I did a couple of jobs without one and needed it. Finally got one, used it a couple of times, sitting in the way. Built a parts washer, don’t even remember I have it. And my mig welder. All I can do is stick. Welding table, covered in stuff, I usually weld in the floor. What about you?

Hate to say it but the die filer hasn't seen much use, maybe 3-4 times over the past 6-7 years, since I acquired it. While it does get the job done, I wouldn't say it is indispensable. However, I will never part with it.

Tubular inside micrometer. I thought it would be useful, but I have never used it. Telescoping gauges always work out better. The tubular inside micrometer I have is a beautiful old B&S product. I lovingly fondle and oil it occassionally.

@CJ5Dave all those things you don't use, I would love.. Funny how that is.
I'll have to think about this... There are a few woodworking tools that I really don't need.
But metal working... I'll get back to you on that.

Now that JPMacG mentioned it, I have a set of Lufkin bore gauges I have never used, or maybe used once or twice.

As much as I like it, the Louis 10" shaper rarely gets used. Easier to set up one of the milling machines.

Pixie piston ring groove cleaner/shaper.

Bought it 20 yrs ago for $5-10 because it was cheap and brand new in the package.

It’s still new in the package.

Porta power. It’s messy and more of a P.I.T.A. than it is useful. When you need it, it’s what you need. The rest of the time something else will do just as well.

My cnc lathe. I have 5 parts I make on it for my transmission mods. When I bought it I had great plans on all the things I could make. After spending days making something I could buy for $20 now I only use it and my machining center when I need my conversion parts. In the last 3 years I've only made something for someone else once, a set of carburetor spacers for a small block chevy tri power setup.

And my starret adjustable parallels. Never once used them in 25 years.

Last edited:
Small hole gages, I don't think I've ever used them. Starrett small steel rule set, used once.

My cnc lathe.
Well dayumm ! I sure could put that to good use ! :grin: I haven't had the need for most machine tools over these last 5 years having access to 2 full shops in at work . Now retired ( officially this Monday ) , the BP will get plenty of use . I'll pick up a small lathe again . Most of the other stuff can go . In the process of sorting out the garage for the woodworking tools that will be used daily .

Back