tool tip No4

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
Good tip. I have a dip-seal pot however. 8)
And, the stuff is recyclable, so I just drop it back into the pot when I cut it off.

Does anyone have a web address of a company that sells the dip seal material in less than industrial size quantities??

Thanks

author=flutedchamber link=topic=3728.msg27365#msg27365 date=1317200032
Does anyone have a web address of a company that sells the dip seal material in less than industrial size quantities??

Thanks

McMaster-Carr will sell you a pound for about eight bucks - near the bottom of page 2117. Just type 2117 into search window.

Me, I use aluminum foil - cheap, easy, reusable:

103.jpg

103.jpg

103.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The traditional thing to do is to keep a small block of camphor in the toolbox. The fumes condense on the tools protecting them from rust. Woodworkers use this because they don't want oil near any of their fine woods (ruins finishes).

Sidebar note: NEVER keep aspirin or things such as BC Powders in your tool box. They are corrosive, and will cause problems. Don't ask.

author=geotek link=topic=3728.msg27388#msg27388 date=1317226348
The traditional thing to do is to keep a small block of camphor in the toolbox. The fumes condense on the tools protecting them from rust. Woodworkers use this because they don't want oil near any of their fine woods (ruins finishes).

I always thought camphor promoted rust. Learn something new every day. Thank you.

PS So moth balls/crystals would work?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so, mothballs are a different chemical.

Mothballs are made of naphthalene or paradichlorobenzene, so they shouldn't pose a corrosion problem.

I used to use camphor in my tool chest,but it doesn't seem to be available in drug stores any more. Not for quite a few years.

Back