Tool selection for a PM1030V

"THE BOOK" is showing up tomorrow and PM still hasn't shipped my lathe and i still haven't finished the bench for it and it's going to take me a while to get it cleaned up, mounted and "twist" free. I decided to read the book and then order inserts and holders. I have some 5/16 holders and inserts to play around with while i'm waiting for something more substantial. The quick change is now standard on the 1130, i did opt for the DRO. I had DIY versions of these features on my 7x14 and now i can't live without them.

"THE BOOK" is showing up tomorrow and PM still hasn't shipped my lathe and i still haven't finished the bench for it and it's going to take me a while to get it cleaned up, mounted and "twist" free. I decided to read the book and then order inserts and holders. I have some 5/16 holders and inserts to play around with while i'm waiting for something more substantial. The quick change is now standard on the 1130, i did opt for the DRO. I had DIY versions of these features on my 7x14 and now i can't live without them.
That should be a great machine....

I have the PM1030V. I went with ccmt/ccgt tooling and have great results. I spent the money on solid carbide ccmt and dcmt boring bars and I do not regret it. I just wish the machine had the rigidity to take advantage of them.

Unfortunately my 1030v is really not a great machine. If I knew what I know now I'd have gone to a geared head. The hump in the ways only bothers me doing longer stuff.

I have the PM1030V. I went with ccmt/ccgt tooling and have great results. I spent the money on solid carbide ccmt and dcmt boring bars and I do not regret it. I just wish the machine had the rigidity to take advantage of them.

Unfortunately my 1030v is really not a great machine. If I knew what I know now I'd have gone to a geared head. The hump in the ways only bothers me doing longer stuff.
I was seriously looking at the PM1030V and I kept mulling it over until I said to my wife "Ya know, I might need a bigger machine, maybe that 1130 would work...." And she said "hey that PM1236 look good" and friends, that is how it happened and she is still shaking her head.....

In all honesty, I was looking at the PM1030 but Quinn at Blondiehacks has the PM1020V and I kept watching her push the limits and noting that it was a small hobby lathe so I chose the PM1236 and I like my machine...

Back