Tool Recommendations?

I own both a 1/2 and 1/3 HP version of the common Craftsman 2X42 belt sander and I can easily stall the latter when grinding lathe tools, while the former will power through an aggressive grind on a HSS tool. For belt sanders, bigger is better. For bench grinders, I suggest you look for at least an 8" wheel rather than the homeowner 6" version. Your choice of wheels will be much easier with the bigger wheel.

Nothing wrong with Craftsman power tools. They are by far not the best out there but they will get you up and running until something better falls into your lap. Buy what you can find and afford and get on with it. Once you see what your needs really are you can focus on finding the best machine.

I don't need it for grinding lathe tools- I have indexable bits. Most of what I would be doing is building live steam engines.

As far as the bigger machines go, I was going with a PM-727M and the PM-1022V lathe.
It's the little stupid ones like this that are causing the headache now.

Aaahh, you say that now but wait. One day you will see how well HSS works on a smaller lathe like the 1022 and the headaches will get worse!

That aside, I agree with looking for stuff on CL.

For the 4x6 belt sander, check out the Porter Cable unit that Lowe's carries. It is heavy duty and built very well. $179.

Bill

For the 4x6 belt sander, check out the Porter Cable unit that Lowe's carries. It is heavy duty and built very well. $179.

Bill

That looks like what I will be going with, the price is right and there is a Lowes not far from me at all.
Same with their bench grinder!

Now, regarding the bandsaw...
I know that the popular smaller band saws are the little 4x6 ones that can be had for around 3-400 dollars. What I was considering was the Milwaukee corded portable bandsaw with the stand that they sell for it- or a benchtop unit of some sort around the same size.

I really don't have a ton of space, if I could even get away with smaller machines I would- but from what I have gathered from my mentor (who is an avid live steamer) the mill and lathe that I picked are about small as I would want to go practically. I have access to a large bandsaw if I need it, but for at home if I could get away with something small that would be ideal. Thoughts?

I was looking at using it as a horizontal band saw. If there is a stand that would have a vise on it for horizontal work, that would be great. There is even a part of me that has been saying "screw it, just buy an abrasive chop saw."

But I am about 99% sure it's not a worthy substitute.

I too have a very small space to work in. Mine is a 4x6 shed plus a small workbench outside for temporary work, like vise work, grinding, small 1x30 belt sander, etc. I live in a warm, sunny climate so that is not a problem.

I have wrestled with the cutting of metal problem for awhile. I most often resort to an angle grinder with a 4.5 inch cutoff wheel. You must BE CAREFUL, though. I've been tempted to get a nice abrasive cutoff saw. I could easily move it to the outside bench for a temporary operation. I don't really have room for a band saw of any kind. I also don't like the slowness of the band saw when cutting through very heavy material. I can whip through a 2 inch steel bar with the cutoff wheel in no time. Spending $300+ for a nice portable band saw and stand is a bit much for my situation. Your requirements are probably different.

The problem with cutoff wheels is the inability to cut a radius, in the case of needing to cut a disc out of a flat sheet. You can approximate it by taking multiple cuts of course. But even a band saw blade will not cut a very tight radius. The other problem is cutting larger flat work.

So, as a newbie in this hobby, and starting to build my small shop, my next purchase will probably be a cutoff saw.

Wear an apron of some kind. Pants catch fire!

Bill

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Back