Tool Recommendations?

HEAVYMETAL87

Registered
Registered
How's it going everyone?

I have ran into a bit of a debacle- where can I find a good quality 4x36 belt sander and a bench grinder for a reasonable price? I can't afford a Baldor or anything fancy like that at the time being. I am learning machining to hopefully build myself a live steam engine (or three) and I am still in the whole set up shop/learning on other people's machines phase.

Thank you in advance!

When price is the constraint, then Harbor Freight is normally my go to place. Not the best quality, but they do work. Figure on replacing the switch after a short time. As @dlane says, Craigslist is a good option also there are a bunch of them listed in the South West.

Welcome to the site!

Have you got any used tool stores in the area? My local one has a couple bench grinders there right now, but they seem to turn-over quick. They don't sell at give-away prices, but normally way better then new prices.

I picked up (from a hardware store) a cheapy belt/disc sander years ago for wood work, but currently use it more for metal now. I did have to replace a belt once, and it does need a push to get started in real cold weather, but I have certainly got my moneys worth.

-brino

:+1: on both HF and CL !
prepare to do a little tune up work on the HF 4x36 if you get it, they are mostly less than admirable, but if you were to tune it (nice way of saying refining/possibly rebuilding it)
a 4x36 could become useful.
sadly the craftsman is only slightly better, having similar construction but slightly better feel than the HF
i'm not sure what your machine turnover is like in Yuma or the surrounding areas,
but i'd consider vigilant search for a good, but slightly rusted up, old school hunk of iron like a delta or very old craftsman, montgomery wards(Power Kraft), dewalt, etc.
i was in a similar predicament, in trying to find a sander, but i needed a 6x48- i ended up searching for a couple months and then ended up finding and getting a Reliant .
the quality is fair/good, the price was right, but i had to drive 70 miles to get it. i didn't have to do any work to the unit. but i was very lucky
may luck find you too!
i wish you the best in quest!

Old fashioned arbor type bench grinders are cheap and work well.
Simple jackshafts will support a cylinder to drive belts for a belt sander.
Or consider a portable belt sander instead of a bench mount.

If used bushings / bearings are replaceable.
Make tool rests if there aren't any.
Consider making a belt and guard as well, bent sheet metal is great. But, scraps of plywood work well.
Any motor can be used, but gear up/down the motor to ensure that you don't exceed the rpm of the grinding wheels.
Stands can be fancy weldments our a construct from used pallets.

This doesn't need to be an expensive hobby. We tend to make it expensive.
Reality is that alot of great work used to be done with a hacksaw and a file.

Daryl
MN

Daryl is right on--items you are talking about are very simple machines and can be obtained for little as $20 or much less if you watch garage sales and C list---most arbor grinders usually come with 2 mounted grindstones and $5 or under is findable---you may have to buy a couple older motors 1/4 to 3/4 hp with some pulleys and any v belt sizes will do--so far you should be a lot less than $10-----watch for materials to build your disc sander and belt sander--lots of cheap and free materials are plentiful to work good in building these--you can always refine these later if needed------for good scroungers this hobby can be inexpensive so you will have money later to put into your drill press lathes and mills for your shop-----in the search box, type in--- scroungers--- and you will see lots of good articles on where to find good free item sources for your building needs------Dave

Last edited:
Ditto the above. Besides HF we have Steve's wholesale tools locally. I have a cheap bench grinder I bought many years ago from them still going strong.

I got an old Craftsman belt and disk sander model# 103.22540 off of Craigslist for about $35 if I remember correctly. They show up all the time around here. I did a quick craigslist search for Yuma and found none, but a bunch of them in surrounding areas including several for $75 - $100.

I also have this sander from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-x-36-inch-belt-6-inch-disc-sander-97181.html

that you can buy this weekend for $60 using the 25% off coupon found here:

https://slickdeals.net/f/1276399-harbor-freight-coupon-thread

It's kind of flimsy but I prefer it for fine work at the bench.

I have three grinders: an old Craftsman, a Dewalt (made in China), and an 8" HF model:

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-bench-grinder-with-gooseneck-lamp-37823.html

The lamp is nice to have but I replaced the wheels and tool rests. The tool rests were flimsy and I don't trust Chinese grinding wheels. I'm from Worcester and much prefer Nortons. Anyway, I've had it for five years now and haven't had any complaints. I got it on sale for $35 but it's currently $55. Of course they always have sales and coupons.

I was considering a new craftsman- for both. But then again is 1/3hp enough for the kind of work we are doing?

Back