Tool Recommendations?

Times change. That's old information I've forgotten to update.

I now live in Arizona.

Bill

Bill,
My condolences for Quartzsite. Sorry about the artillery at night.

In machining is a narrower (2") style belt sander more commonly used?

An interesting question. Not sure what would be most commonly used. I know the 2 inch belt sanders are out there, but you don't find them commonly in the retail outlets. I believe Grizzly carries one. I don't see one on the shelves at Harbor Freight or (initially) on their web site. I believe Craftsman had one at one time. I don't see the 2 inch belts themselves at the Home Depot or Lowes retail stores. But they do have the 1x30 and 4x36 belts on the shelf.

I have a little HF 1x30 sander with an 80 grit belt. I can grind tool stock with it. The motor will stall if you get too aggressive. Usually what I do is get the bit roughed out on the 6 inch bench grinder, then finish it using a light touch on the belt sander. A 2 inch wide belt would be easier to use for this.

The 4x36 would be handy for certain operations, like face sanding larger material where tolerances are not part of the equation. I would love to have that Porter Cable unit. It is stout. Maybe some day.

Right now I am working on a faceplate sanding disk idea. I want to incorporate a tilting table that I can set at prescribed angles. I've cobbled up a tangential tool holder out of an old boring head and I want to get the angles on the tool bit just right.

Ha! I will watch for that artillery! Rochester, NY was a short stop for me (medical reasons), and my sister lives there. Most of my life has been spent out west.

Bill

Back