Tool post bolt size

XPFTP

Registered
Registered
ok so i broke down and iam making a soild tool post spacer.
issue is. i have a bx tool post holder. it has m16-1.5 thread bolt. will no i dont have drill or tap that size. noone local has it.
so its 5/8 in diameter.
now i think i can get down to 1/2 bolt size. my ? is this. if i run with the 1/2 bolt say number 8. or 5/8s all thread for the 1/2 thread size.i make a bushing to sung it up inside the tool post.
is this ok to do ?
i dont see a reason as to why not. but i have no clue here..
sad local place sells 5/8 tap but noone has the drill bit .. hahhahha
as u can see the hole in the top is now a half inch.
this is goin to be used on a atlas12inch. so not like iam goin to swing more then 3 inchs.

tool post pic 2.jpg

Attachments

• tool post pic 3.jpg
    tool post pic 3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 6
Whatever you do, give up on the idea of using all thread for your post bolt.

I would want the largest bolt I could use in a fine thread variety, this is not some place you want to rush the job or skimp on materials.

Whatever you do, give up on the idea of using all thread for your post bolt.

I would want the largest bolt I could use in a fine thread variety, this is not some place you want to rush the job or skimp on materials.
ok no AT . only issue after that is fine thread. i would have to order tap and drill offline. 30 to 40 bucks for one time use. grrrrr
then i just get the right tap and drill for the post bolt i have already.

grrrrrrrrr

ok no AT . only issue after that is fine thread. i would have to order tap and drill offline. 30 to 40 bucks for one time use. grrrrr
then i just get the right tap and drill for the post bolt i have already.

grrrrrrrrr
Welcome to the party!

You could always get a long fine thread bolt of the proper size and weld it to the T nut.

Our big lathes toolpost bolt pulled the thread in the T nut a week back and I just put it back in as good as I could and made it permanent.

Didn’t have time nor inclination to do it any better.

Good for another 40yrs!

Can you bore and thread it on your lathe? Drill as close to the thread minor diameter as you can and bore the rest, then use the bolt for the toolpost to check your size as you are threading.

Can you bore and thread it on your lathe? Drill as close to the thread minor diameter as you can and bore the rest, then use the bolt for the toolpost to check your size as you are threading.
i wish i could. but... yep theres the BUT...... my gearbox gears are buged up.. 3 of them are riped up form the last owner crashing the lathe.
look my post up . you will see the gears.. been tryin to find them.. very hard to find. i think hens teeth are easyer to find. grrrrr

i even thought about manual driving the head and carriage. i said nooo lol
ill have to order it. i spoke to a local welder old shcool. he said by the time you find someone around these parts.. it will cost you the tap and drill bit form online.. lol ..
tractor supply sells taps. but they dont sell the right drill bits for them. i thought about goin down to half inch and use a #8 bolt. but even then i would have to make bushing and still have to order drill off line..
o will..

I figured there must be a reason why you weren’t doing that, but doesn’t hurt to ask. I don’t recall seeing your thread on the gears, I’ll have to take a look for it. Too bad it wasn’t M16x2, I have the tap and drill you could have borrowed. I believe I bought that for a project many years ago and never used it since lol.

Are you able to find a 5/8” size bolt? I believe my local Tractor Supply sells that size, I don’t recall if they have it in a fine pitch, but l do believe they carry that in course. It might be cheaper to find a 5/8” tap instead of an M16 fine thread tap.

I don't see any reason it needs to be one type of thread or another. Are you trying to match it for a reason? You could, at least in theory, swap all of them out for 5/8 or whatever. You want some centering from it, to hold the post block concentric to the bolt/stud. On my AXA, there was an unthreaded bit at the bottom, and the nut had one on top to keep it centered, then it's just a bit of clamping force. The thread on mine was 10mm coarse. I don't think fine should be needed.

To be sure, this is the bolt that holds the tool post block down? You might think about counter-boring the underside to clear a bolt head and to the same on top for a nut to hold it in. A simple bushing should also be able to deal with the concentric slop between the bolt and block.

I figured there must be a reason why you weren’t doing that, but doesn’t hurt to ask. I don’t recall seeing your thread on the gears, I’ll have to take a look for it. Too bad it wasn’t M16x2, I have the tap and drill you could have borrowed. I believe I bought that for a project many years ago and never used it since lol.

Are you able to find a 5/8” size bolt? I believe my local Tractor Supply sells that size, I don’t recall if they have it in a fine pitch, but l do believe they carry that in course. It might be cheaper to find a 5/8” tap instead of an M16 fine thread tap.
the tap they sell at tractor supply.. but not the drill bit. i havent checked napa. but iam sure if they do have it . it will be 3 times what others asking for it.
i think ill just order the tap and bit for the m16-1.5 and be done lol .. then at least i can use the orig stud that came with the holder.

Assuming you can tap the block: would your existing M16 stud work?

I happen to have an M16x1.5; just pay shipping there and back. Or send your part over and I'll do it for ya.

i thank you for the offer. iam thinking shipping roudn trip is around 23 bucks. tho the tap is purfect. no drill bit lol . and lowes has both for i think it was 32 bucks i htink delv. iam not sure what iam goin to do yet

I don't see any reason it needs to be one type of thread or another. Are you trying to match it for a reason? You could, at least in theory, swap all of them out for 5/8 or whatever. You want some centering from it, to hold the post block concentric to the bolt/stud. On my AXA, there was an unthreaded bit at the bottom, and the nut had one on top to keep it centered, then it's just a bit of clamping force. The thread on mine was 10mm coarse. I don't think fine should be needed.

To be sure, this is the bolt that holds the tool post block down? You might think about counter-boring the underside to clear a bolt head and to the same on top for a nut to hold it in. A simple bushing should also be able to deal with the concentric slop between the bolt and block.
i was goin with the m16-1.5 as i had the bolt already form the tool post and t nut. so i figured no big deal. but here where iam at. its a big deal lol i called a few machine shops and motor shops. motor shop says nothing this big. and the machine shop hasnt returned call.
i might do a half inch bolt. with a long bushing. no clue yet.
i have to think on this..

Back