Tool Holders? Anybody used these?

Wobbly- Please report back re quality and fit. I will buy some if you approve!

The AXA holders arrived today. I'll have to bring them downstairs to the shop and check them out. First comment, they arrived in a plastic bag, with 4 little boxes inside. So don't expect packing material for this price.

Minor scratches in the bluing, but ok. Here's a picture of the one with the worst lock up, hmm, maybe at 6:15. The others are at 5:30, 5:00 and 5:00 o'clock.
PXL_20231015_183709049.jpg
Set screws are all gritty, but hey that seems normal these days. All in all, pretty good for the price. I'll clean up the screws and holders and see how they are.

Reactions: rwm
that was a price for 4, not expensive very cheap.
I bought 5 for $56 from another vendor a year or so ago.. they were good.
for the price I would give it a try, let us know how it works out.

Wobbly- Please report back re quality and fit. I will buy some if you approve!
I ordered four 250-101 holders as well. They should be here on Tuesday. I was holding out for Shars as I have been pleased with the quality of tool holders but the shipping pushed the price up too high.

I ordered four 250-101 holders as well. They should be here on Tuesday. I was holding out for Shars as I have been pleased with the quality of tool holders but the shipping pushed the price up too high.
Shars direct shipping is high. Discount Machine is a little better sometimes. Both are the same company. I have some Shars tool holders, they work fine. The new ones I got should be adequate. They look like all the other 250-101 holders I have.

Shars direct shipping is high. Discount Machine is a little better sometimes. Both are the same company. I have some Shars tool holders, they work fine. The new ones I got should be adequate. They look like all the other 250-101 holders I have.
I buy Shars products through Discount Machine. My issue is that they would use the same flat rate shipping envelope for one or for three tool holders, yet they charge an extra $5.50 for shipping for each additional tool holder.

One thing that I like about Shars tool holders is the floor of the tool holder is the lowest of all those I have. On the G0602 lathe, there is precious little clearance between the tool holder and the compound when using my 12 mm insert tooling. The extra few thousandths afforded by the Shars holders makes the difference. But most of my tooling is either 3/8" HSS or brazed carbide so there won't be an issue.

Cleaned up the tool holders in the ultrasonic tank. Oiled the set screws and reassembled - much better. At least for me (this set for four holders) all of them are usable. I have no idea about the rest of the seller's stock. The top side of the C channel isn't very well machined as an FYI. Two are ok, two are rougher. I suspect these are seconds from the 250-100 factory line. Still, mine are serviceable. Not bad for $8.54 each.

I received the four Labwork 250-101 tool holders this week. All are acceptable for my purposes. Fit and finish is generally good. One had set screws that were a bit gritty but blowing out with compressed air fixed that. The set screw thread fit is a bit loose but acceptable considering the intended purpose. The floor of the tool slot is .440" above the bottom. This is a problem for 1/2" insert tooling on my G0602 lathe as the spindle centerline is .929" above the compound. This is fairly common for AXA tool holders as the nominal height is 7/16" or .437". Shars 250-101 tool holders typically measure .428". If using 12mm insert tooling, it will squeak by at .912"

Reactions: rwm
Back