Tool Gloats! What did you buy? We wanna see it!

Bought some measuring tools:

A new Starrett 84Z-111-5J Dial Bore Gage

Starrett84Z-111-5JDialBoreGage.jpg

Fowler micrometer set 0 to 6 inches with standards:

0_6Fowler.jpg

Also used 1.5-2" intrimik:

P3220028.jpg

oh.. and a case lap tool :)

P3270071.jpg

This came out of an outbuilding that was been taken down. The box was soaked and moldy. In the box is a Starrett 696 Crankshaft Distortion Dial/Strain Gage! I found a new box to put it in after cleaning up the rods of rust and lubing the indicator. Now I need a very large steam engine to use it on.

I also received in the mail from Hemingway Kits the Retracting Toolholder for Screwcutting. I now have to make it up! Should be a good build.

South Bend Model A, with tooling, great condition. $100

I though I scored well when I picked up an Enco minilathe for $100 a few weeks ago. Missing tailstock, but had steel change gears. Very early, but unworn.

Then 2 weeks later someone 30 miles away advertised a "South Bend Model A metal lathe" for $100. I was first to call, then tore out of the driveway in the pickup. When I got there there was a lot of other people picking up stuff. The seller said "Oh, you're the guy that got to me! My phone has rang off the wall since you called" But he didn't try to back out, and I got it with some tooling and a decent wooden bench. It is complete, no serious wear. this one had been taken care of, except it was dirty
Pic below was after a trip to the car wash

da4ca86e.jpg
deade141.jpg

Early Enco minilathe, steel change gears, single speed, no tailstock - paid $100

before:
Before1.jpg

after. I have the tailstock castings, waiting for spindle and screw from Grizzly, literally on the slow boat from China, and then it missed the boat grrrr
It cleaned up well, no appreciable wear. I figured this was made about 1988.
Encoafter.jpg

I have a canned search tabbed on my browser to look for anything lathe or mill. I click it at least once an hour, home or work.

AR1911,
I want to know how many traffic laws did you brake getting there, 30 miles I'm guessing 20. I would have broke land speed record for that 9a for $100. No deals like that in Western PA.
Paul

LOL I'm sure I left a few bent laws along the way.
I just knew it was going to be gone, or the price higher.

Two vises

Well, I won't talk about $$, because I suspect neither was any super bargain, but recently I got two really cool vises from eBay.

First, one I've been wanting for a while, a Mitutoyo three axis, with sine on top:
ebayvise01.jpg

And, an impulse buy, a very nice milling vise made in Pennsylvania. It's new old stock from a company now out of business, and it's a beautifully made 2.75" wide milling vise, ground square and parallel all around:
ebayvise02.jpg

Those are some nice Vises. I'd love to have the Mitutoyo.
And the other one would look great on my minimill

One more and I'll shut up.
This Atlas 618 was listed on ebay at $275 with a buy it now of $400. Lousy photos, not much description.
It was very local to me, so with 2 days left and no bids I arranged to go look at it.
Turned out to be a nice late Mk1 model, Timken bearings, no wear, all the change gears, wrenches, faceplate.
Dirty but no damage. Bought it for $300, which is about half what these go for around here.
Once I got it home it cleaned up even nicer. Looks like it was used very little, and not recently.

7f94fc48.jpg
e093d785.jpg

That's a bunch of scrapers behind it. I doubt I'll keep those, can't see me getting that industrious :)

Back