Tool Gloats! What did you buy? We wanna see it!

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Awww come on guys! Show us what you bought.

Post your Tool Gloats here!

Thanks!

Nelson

Hello All,
I have finished the renovation of a 1934 s/n 552xx, SB 9 Workshop lathe and the construction of the lathe bench. The lathe has a complete set of threading gears, a SB threading dial, a 6" Pratt 3 jaw chuck, 1 6" Skinner 4-jaw chuck and a 3" MT3 3-jaw chuck. I have also obtained a Palmgrem milling attachment, collet set and closer, and a quick-change tool post. All of the felt oil wicks were replaced and original type oil cups installed. I used a serpentine belt drive and modified the horizontal drive to be full pivoting. This model uses a plug-in 32 tooth reversing gear. I'm in the process of turning a shaft for it. The spindle has been changed to one that has 1-1/2 x 8 nose thread. This model SB originally had a 1-3/8 x 10 spindle thread. I am beginning to accumulate a set of carbide tool bits. Now I need to learn how to use it.
I get a lot of very useful information on this forum.
Bob

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful job on the restoration. Great work on the stand. Together they could be in a museum.
Don't let that happen. Go make some chips. Get it dirty.
You have the skills to fix it up again if needed.

Wow! Looks like a museum piece. I'd hate to see you scuff up that beautiful lathe bench! What paint did you use?

Bob,

That is nothing short of a magnificent job on that South Bend! Congrats!

Regards,

Nelson

Thanks, Guys
I have really enjoyed bringing the old machine back to life. I have since acquired a small Dumore tool post grinder and a 15 piece set of ER40 collets and MT3 collet chuck. The collets and chuck although imports are really great. Most of the work that I do is on small diameter pieces and the ER40's are great. I also have C3 collets and closer. The c3's don't have a large enough diameter for some of the work I do. I saw a post that someone put on about the ER40's and saw a set on ebay for $109.00 and I could not resist.
I just restored a SB micrometer carraige stop. I got it working smoothly.
The paint on the lathe is Rustoleum Special Projects Dark Machine Gray. The finish on the table is MinWax Stain Polyurethane in Chestnut for the top and Pecan shade for the sides. MinWax is hard to beat for wood.
Thanks for the kind words and the terrific info.
Bob

Another vote for Rustoleum.

Used smoke grey on the first Van Norman mill base and it came out really good. You buy a quart at Home Depot for $8 and can do an entire machine with it.

Best,

Nelson

Bob

Nice work on the lathe. Question for you though, is it to use or for a museum? LOL. I never bother making them look that nice because when they are all purdy like that it is harder to let them get dirty and our hobby is a filthy one.

Walter

I purchased a few drills on Ebay for $150. Most are used, some new with green gel still on them, sets in Huot cases, one orange set is asian. All told about 500 drill bits.

Sorry no pic,, i did buy a 1 1/2 ton "DAKE" arbour press in good shape with a few fixtures.

Back