Tool gloat

There is a refurbish book and correct felts for it on eBay that is a great reference for the job ,has all the tips, tricks, spindle capillary oil wicks, along with all the correct felts
Think it was from Lionel industry's
It was around $50. For a SB 10L
For what you have invested in the machines , definitely worth while

There is a refurbish book and correct felts for it on eBay that is a great reference for the job ,has all the tips, tricks, spindle capillary oil wicks, along with all the correct felts
Think it was from Lionel industry's
It was around $50. For a SB 10L
For what you have invested in the machines , definitely worth while

I've already bought it, along with bottles of the correct oils and lubes.

PS: Did you go look at the Cincinnati?
I never went. It was about 2 hours or more away. I had planned to go see it, but these came up. I called the seller and told him I wouldn't be coming.
You should have gone to look at the other lathe, with your luck you could have come home with a free welder and a plasma cutter just for showing up.:D

Last edited:
I with stuff like that happened down in this area. You guys up that direction keep coming up with deals, Down here they are almost the price of a new one. Guys down here are trying to sell used QCTPs for $150 without any holders. Lathe or mill normally goes south quickly unless priced like a new one.
Congrats on your low cost, So what other tools came with them.

I with stuff like that happened down in this area. You guys up that direction keep coming up with deals, Down here they are almost the price of a new one. Guys down here are trying to sell used QCTPs for $150 without any holders. Lathe or mill normally goes south quickly unless priced like a new one.
Congrats on your low cost, So what other tools came with them.

Ken,

Time to come back to my place. You know I'll load you up with all sorts of freebies!
I have a Bridgeport clone sitting here. Want it?

Like many here, I have wanted to have machine tools for years, but could just never make it happen. When I had the money, I couldn't find the tools, and of course it seemed like when I found the tools I had no money for them. I finally had a bit of cash, and found a Cincinnati tray top lathe for sale about 2 hours away. I was planning to go look at it, when a friend of my wife said that her mother had 2 lathes in her garage ( maybe 10 miles away) that her mom wanted to get rid of. They had been her dads when he passed about 9 years ago. I assumed that they would be small, maybe not even worth looking at. But I went anyway just to be nice and 'just in case'.

The first lathe turned out to be a 16" Southbend C-117. It looked kinda rough, but seemed to be all there. Parts moved when I tried. There was no 3 phase power to turn it on, so it was a visual inspection only.
View attachment 242599

The second lathe was a Logan 12" turret lathe, 2537-2-vh
View attachment 242600

I realized these were the types of lathes I had always wanted, and worried what the asking price was. The deal was I had to buy both or none. "So how much?" I asked wondering what I would have to sell to afford the deal.

The price given was $1000.

"Each?" I asked thinking that was probably a deal, even if I couldn't afford it.

"No, $1000 for both" was the answer. I tried not to agree to fast. SO, $500 each I had 2 lathes, with the agreement that I had to clean out all the other tools that go with them and take those too.

So, I'm into 2 lathes for a total of $1000. I was worried about the Southbend's oil wicks from sitting so long, so it is at my dads shop (he had room I didn't) broken down to the major assemblies to be rebuilt. The Logan is now in my shop as you see it in the pic above.

But wait, there's more;

I've been on the look out for a milling machine to go with a lathe for years as well. A few months after buying the lathes, I found an ad on facebook for a round column milling machine. I called and we talked about it and I agreed to buy it, sight unseen for $250.

View attachment 242604 View attachment 242605

Turns out to be an RF30/31 8x20, no tag, but pretty sure its an Enco.

So, now looks like I'm into 2 lathes and one milling machine for $1250 total. But wait, says the guy with the mill, he has a lathe for sale too, and he would make a great deal on taking both. I explain how I already have 2 lathes and don't need a 3rd. He replies "$500 and there both yours".

I look at him "you mean $250 each? Mill and the lathe?"

Yep he says, that's what he means. I tell him up front honestly that if I buy the lathe, I'm going to resell it. He says he doesn't care, just needs them gone. "load 'em up" says I.

This lathe is a Lincoln, marked made in Taiwan, 12x36

View attachment 242606

Hang on folks, were almost home..........

So, if you're keeping score, I now own 3 lathes and 1 milling machine for the total cost of $1500.

True to my plan, I put the Lincoln 12x36 up for sale. I gentleman from not far away comes by and we agree on a price................are you ready?

$1500. I got all my money back

He's happy, I'm happy, life is good.

So, here we are at the end of the story. I own a 16" Southbend, a 12" Logan turret lathe, and a 8x28 Enco round column mill/drill for effectively $0.

Yeah, I know I'll likely never do that well again.

I just had to share the story wth my wife. She just giggles and asks if I need more lathes. Congrats! That is an incredible story.

Ken, Send you a PM.

Unreal ,ok it's official , you stepped in it and don't wipe it off. Good luck , you don't need it...

Back