Tool gloat

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Like many here, I have wanted to have machine tools for years, but could just never make it happen. When I had the money, I couldn't find the tools, and of course it seemed like when I found the tools I had no money for them. I finally had a bit of cash, and found a Cincinnati tray top lathe for sale about 2 hours away. I was planning to go look at it, when a friend of my wife said that her mother had 2 lathes in her garage ( maybe 10 miles away) that her mom wanted to get rid of. They had been her dads when he passed about 9 years ago. I assumed that they would be small, maybe not even worth looking at. But I went anyway just to be nice and 'just in case'.

The first lathe turned out to be a 16" Southbend C-117. It looked kinda rough, but seemed to be all there. Parts moved when I tried. There was no 3 phase power to turn it on, so it was a visual inspection only.
20170812_101922[1].jpg

The second lathe was a Logan 12" turret lathe, 2537-2-vh
20170925_185604[1].jpg

I realized these were the types of lathes I had always wanted, and worried what the asking price was. The deal was I had to buy both or none. "So how much?" I asked wondering what I would have to sell to afford the deal.

The price given was $1000.

"Each?" I asked thinking that was probably a deal, even if I couldn't afford it.

"No, $1000 for both" was the answer. I tried not to agree to fast. SO, $500 each I had 2 lathes, with the agreement that I had to clean out all the other tools that go with them and take those too.

So, I'm into 2 lathes for a total of $1000. I was worried about the Southbend's oil wicks from sitting so long, so it is at my dads shop (he had room I didn't) broken down to the major assemblies to be rebuilt. The Logan is now in my shop as you see it in the pic above.

But wait, there's more;

I've been on the look out for a milling machine to go with a lathe for years as well. A few months after buying the lathes, I found an ad on facebook for a round column milling machine. I called and we talked about it and I agreed to buy it, sight unseen for $250.

20170701_155707[1].jpg 20170701_155723[2].jpg

Turns out to be an RF30/31 8x20, no tag, but pretty sure its an Enco.

So, now looks like I'm into 2 lathes and one milling machine for $1250 total. But wait, says the guy with the mill, he has a lathe for sale too, and he would make a great deal on taking both. I explain how I already have 2 lathes and don't need a 3rd. He replies "$500 and there both yours".

I look at him "you mean $250 each? Mill and the lathe?"

Yep he says, that's what he means. I tell him up front honestly that if I buy the lathe, I'm going to resell it. He says he doesn't care, just needs them gone. "load 'em up" says I.

This lathe is a Lincoln, marked made in Taiwan, 12x36

IMG_31341[1].jpg

Hang on folks, were almost home..........

So, if you're keeping score, I now own 3 lathes and 1 milling machine for the total cost of $1500.

True to my plan, I put the Lincoln 12x36 up for sale. I gentleman from not far away comes by and we agree on a price................are you ready?

$1500. I got all my money back

He's happy, I'm happy, life is good.

So, here we are at the end of the story. I own a 16" Southbend, a 12" Logan turret lathe, and a 8x28 Enco round column mill/drill for effectively $0.

Yeah, I know I'll likely never do that well again.

Like many here, I have wanted to have machine tools for years, but could just never make it happen. When I had the money, I couldn't find the tools, and of course it seemed like when I found the tools I had no money for them. I finally had a bit of cash, and found a Cincinnati tray top lathe for sale about 2 hours away. I was planning to go look at it, when a friend of my wife said that her mother had 2 lathes in her garage ( maybe 10 miles away) that her mom wanted to get rid of. They had been her dads when he passed about 9 years ago. I assumed that they would be small, maybe not even worth looking at. But I went anyway just to be nice and 'just in case'.

The first lathe turned out to be a 16" Southbend C-117. It looked kinda rough, but seemed to be all there. Parts moved when I tried. There was no 3 phase power to turn it on, so it was a visual inspection only.
View attachment 242599

The second lathe was a Logan 12" turret lathe, 2537-2-vh
View attachment 242600

I realized these were the types of lathes I had always wanted, and worried what the asking price was. The deal was I had to buy both or none. "So how much?" I asked wondering what I would have to sell to afford the deal.

The price given was $1000.

"Each?" I asked thinking that was probably a deal, even if I couldn't afford it.

"No, $1000 for both" was the answer. I tried not to agree to fast. SO, $500 each I had 2 lathes, with the agreement that I had to clean out all the other tools that go with them and take those too.

So, I'm into 2 lathes for a total of $1000. I was worried about the Southbend's oil wicks from sitting so long, so it is at my dads shop (he had room I didn't) broken down to the major assemblies to be rebuilt. The Logan is now in my shop as you see it in the pic above.

But wait, there's more;

I've been on the look out for a milling machine to go with a lathe for years as well. A few months after buying the lathes, I found an ad on facebook for a round column milling machine. I called and we talked about it and I agreed to buy it, sight unseen for $250.

View attachment 242604 View attachment 242605

Turns out to be an RF30/31 8x20, no tag, but pretty sure its an Enco.

So, now looks like I'm into 2 lathes and one milling machine for $1250 total. But wait, says the guy with the mill, he has a lathe for sale too, and he would make a great deal on taking both. I explain how I already have 2 lathes and don't need a 3rd. He replies "$500 and there both yours".

I look at him "you mean $250 each? Mill and the lathe?"

Yep he says, that's what he means. I tell him up front honestly that if I buy the lathe, I'm going to resell it. He says he doesn't care, just needs them gone. "load 'em up" says I.

This lathe is a Lincoln, marked made in Taiwan, 12x36

View attachment 242606

Hang on folks, were almost home..........

So, if you're keeping score, I now own 3 lathes and 1 milling machine for the total cost of $1500.

True to my plan, I put the Lincoln 12x36 up for sale. I gentleman from not far away comes by and we agree on a price................are you ready?

$1500. I got all my money back

He's happy, I'm happy, life is good.

So, here we are at the end of the story. I own a 16" Southbend, a 12" Logan turret lathe, and a 8x28 Enco round column mill/drill for effectively $0.

Yeah, I know I'll likely never do that well again.

Holy dog is fit!!!! Thats awesome!!!! And since I got this on my lathe purchase Im going to forward it to you! You get a big You suck!!!!!! :)

You should have bought a lottery ticket the same day. That is not an easy find in this neck of the woods. Congratulations..

When it rains it pours??? In a good way. Congrats

Nice , free lathes/mill, with the SB 16 you can cut threads,
so you still want a standard x slide for the Logan.
Are you going to refurbish the 16 ?

Wow, Great finds all around.

With that luck, you could hang out a shingle for "Kaufman Used Machinery" and make a go of it!
Flip some immediately, refurb and sell others....it'll give you something to do between customers.

-brino

PS: Did you go look at the Cincinnati?

Nice , free lathes/mill, with the SB 16 you can cut threads,
so you still want a standard x slide for the Logan.
Are you going to refurbish the 16 ?

Refurbish I think is a good word. The paint looks horrible, lots of flaking. I'm not going for a restoration. My main worry was the lubrication wicks in the head stock. The plan is to clean it up, strip the paint, do a rattle can paint job, replace the wicks and make sure all is in working order.

The Logan has a threading dial, so I can cut threads with it also.

-brino
PS: Did you go look at the Cincinnati?

I never went. It was about 2 hours or more away. I had planned to go see it, but these came up. I called the seller and told him I wouldn't be coming.

Back