WTB Tool and Cutting Grinder

jbaccell

Registered
Registered
Good evening,

I posted the following on another site but someone suggested I post here, the more friendly site which I already happened to be a member of:

Good Afternoon,

I am not sure why, but I have a desire to purchase a tool and cutter grinder. I have a lot of horizontal mill cutters that I can practice sharpening on.

This is not my livelihood so the time spent learning and actually sharpening cutters is not an issue. I do not need a tool and cutter grinder just like I do not need any of my machines. This is for enjoyment and mental therapy...LOL

Like many, I have limited space but I might be enticed to get rid of a current machine or two to make room if a nice tool and cutter grinder became available. I do have a Harig 618 surface grinder already but from what I have read, a SG is not the right machine to sharpen horizontal milling cutters.

The Cincinnati #2 interests me but I am open to other makes and models. I live in NJ but willing to drive a fair distance to pick up a decent machine at a fair price.

Thank you.

Joe

No affiliation to the seller. Listed on CL in Charlottesville, VA.

Hi Joe,

Let me start by saying I do NOT have one, so any guidance from me is all second-hand.

I have always like the looks of the Cincinnati Tool and Cutter Grinders too.

I believe there are some jigs available that can help to mount and hold end mills onto the surface grinder. However I have no idea of the real utility of this..... I have never tried it. I will try to scare up some links and/or pictures and such.....

Many people here and many of the big you-toobers we follow have gone the Deckel clone route.

Stefan Gotteswinter:
Robin Renzetti:

Shars has this one: https://www.shars.com/universal-end-mill-cutter-drill-bit-grinder-sharpener
(with 5C collets!)

I believe a few folks here have bought one like this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=U2+cutte...efix=u2+cutter+grinder,aps,251&ref=nb_sb_noss
Note that there are dozens with different stickers, paint colours, prices and collet types.

The original Deckels do come up for sale occasionally, but most without a good collet selection, so unless you want to make you own collets to fit their custom system the type above should be available with your preferred collet system.

Brian

Hi Joe,

Let me start by saying I do NOT have one, so any guidance from me is all second-hand.

I have always like the looks of the Cincinnati Tool and Cutter Grinders too.

I believe there are some jigs available that can help to mount and hold end mills onto the surface grinder. However I have no idea of the real utility of this..... I have never tried it. I will try to scare up some links and/or pictures and such.....

Many people here and many of the big you-toobers we follow have gone the Deckel clone route.

Stefan Gotteswinter:
Robin Renzetti:

Shars has this one: https://www.shars.com/universal-end-mill-cutter-drill-bit-grinder-sharpener
(with 5C collets!)

I believe a few folks here have bought one like this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=U2+cutter+grinder&crid=2N0NYORZXE0OQ&sprefix=u2+cutter+grinder,aps,251&ref=nb_sb_noss
Note that there are dozens with different stickers, paint colours, prices and collet types.

The original Deckels do come up for sale occasionally, but most without a good collet selection, so unless you want to make you own collets to fit their custom system the type above should be available with your preferred collet system.

Brian
Thank you, Brian, I will check the YouTube videos out. Interesting.

I have a Shars single lip tool and cutter grinder. It won't do all the things that a Cincinnati will. Mine uses 5C collets. There are lots of mods people have done for them. The best being one to locate the exact center of one of the axis for doing radial grinds on the tip of a tool. It is possible to do the flutes on an end mill but again there is a mod that makes it a lot easier. The ends of 2, 3 or even 4 flute endmills can be done but getting center cutting is nearly impossible on all but the two flute. Drill bits are easily end sharpened and can have the flutes sharpened. D bits are the most common use and can be done fairly easily, IF you buy the blanks with split ends already ground. Diamond, AO abrasive and CBN wheels are relatively cheap and come with 1 1/4 or 19mm/ 3/4" bores. Shars sells adapters for both. Cutoff wheels are also available. There are limitations about how long a work piece can be, The 5C collets can't pass work all the way though like on other machines. I suspect it would be possible to do a mod to do that but haven't tried. Stefan, Robin, Oxtool, Blondihack and may others have videos on them. There is a bit of a learning curve!

Thank you.... Can these grinders sharpen horizontal mill cutters? I have a Darex E90 end mill sharpener that I have used with moderate success but it isn't capable of sharpening horizonal mill cutters.

Thanks again.

Joe

I am making one of these so I can sharpen them on my surface grinder.
cutter grinder fixture..jpg

Thanks much, that is interesting. Are you working off of plans? Any links to find out more about it?

Thanks again.

Joe

Back