Tommy bar material?

fcs

Registered
Registered
I need to make tommy bars for my small set of machinist clamps, vee blocks etc. I tried W1 steel rod, but it’s too soft, at least without hardening. What should I use instead? Something I can just cut to length.

if you have a propane torch, you can heat the W1 to red hot and hold it there for a minute or 2 and plunge the W1 into water
this will harden the W1
you'll need to temper the W1 by slowly reheating to around 350 to 400°F (a pale straw color)
the W1 will be hard, but tough at this point

another possibility is 1144SP shafting material, it is quite tough in the condition supplied

I assume you are bending the tommy bars, what diameter are they? ETD-150 or 4140QT (pre-hardened, sometimes designated 4140HT or 4140PH) are about the hardest you will find off the shelf, but (IIRC) are not available in sizes under 1/2". Another possibility is Thomson 60 Case shaft, which must be cut with an abrasive cut-off wheel. Flame hardening the W1 that you have may be the best solution. That and shortening the bars. ;)

+1 on 4140 ph! Wonderful to machine and very tough if not super hard. Thompson shaft is very hard outside and for me a problem to work with if it isn’t going to stay a shaft. If you are going to heat treat it yourself without an oven 1095 is about as hard as it can be (similar to drill rod).

These are all small, inexpensive Asian clamps. (I make small things.) The holes measure a little under 0.120 so I suppose they are 3mm. Maybe I will try hardening the rod I have but if that doesn’t go smoothly I may just order some 3mm M2 drill blanks from McMaster. Unless there’s a reason that those won’t work. I’m not tightening anything with high torque.

M-C has 4140 rod but not in sizes under 0.250

FWIW I make some little formed tools which preform a similar task to what you are looking for. I need to form the end in a bending jig and found W1 to be quite a bit less mailable than O1 as we get the 0.257” rods delivered from McMaster carr. The W1 is stiffer and snaps before we can put about a 20 degree bend in them with about a 2d. Bend radius. I’m not sure if drill blanks will be a lot stronger but they won’t bend!

Back