Titan/Titanic tragedy

Truly a head shaker. I saw an interview with a journalist who went down it it and he described it as having no seats, something like 8hrs or more to make the full trip and constant breakdowns. If I remember right the usual trip was week long and would do like 4 dives because they often couldn’t find the wreck. WTH? I couldn’t even do that once knowing all of that. It was why I passed on riding in the B17 which crashed a couple of weeks later, I’m not a wing and a prayer kinda guy. And that whole operation didn’t have their stuff together at all.

Resources.

I hope some of the resources expended on the search will be recovered. And, the families will fund ocean research/conservation in their loved ones names.
THIS! Just tonight, the wife and I were talking about how many machine and manpower resources were expended on this fruitless search for some rich people that decided to go into a sub that virtually all of the experts (Robert Ballard, for example) said that this was a fool's journey. I mean, come on, the sub's main controller was a Nintendo-ish game controller. It had completely exposed thrusters on the outside that apparently had the mounts drilled right into the carbon fiber pressure vessel. Maybe there will be some lessons learned with this "accident."

In the meantime... 117 US citizens died in gun violence today. 15 Canadian senior citizens died last week when their van was involved in a crash.

While not compensation for the search effort, there is likely some value in operational readiness when there is an emergency deployment like this. In this case the command and control to coordinate varies search assets that are a combination of civilian, industrial and military had to be a challenge. This experience will improve the chances that next time something like this happens the response teams will have a little more experience.

Also note that 17 people have died on Mt Everest, just this year. Extreme tourism can be expensive in both $ and lives

If I understand the vessel correctly, the occupants stepped in and then had the hatch (the ONLY way out) bolted shut from the outside.
No means to open said hatch from the inside...

You will never get this mechanic anywhere near that level of helplessness.

If I understand the vessel correctly, the occupants stepped in and then had the hatch (the ONLY way out) bolted shut from the outside.
No means to open said hatch from the inside...

You will never get this mechanic anywhere near that level of helplessness.
This is how it was designed, yes.
But you don't want to pop a sub hatch below water anyhow, ever.

I can’t imagine why someone would risk their life for such a foolish endeavor.
The waste of time, money, and life is beyond my comprehension.
I feel sorry for the families, not the idiots who risked their lives so freely
Thanks for saying what I and probably a lot of other folks were thinking.

The notion that I cannot blow a hatch once the sub hits the surface is a failure in engineering, if you ask this hillbilly.
No worries anyway. I ain't got that kind of dough in the first place...

Back