Titan/Titanic tragedy

There's a very good possibility that the support was too close to the other one in the design. One was flexing and the other wasn't or the flexing of one created a resonance in the other.
either way, that's a lot of stress on that broken pole based on watching how far apart it sets without stress and how much it moves with stress.

There's a very good possibility that the support was too close to the other one in the design. One was flexing and the other wasn't or the flexing of one created a resonance in the other.
either way, that's a lot of stress on that broken pole based on watching how far apart it sets without stress and how much it moves with stress.

I'm thinking the same thing sort of, only different. I'm looking at the "triangluation" of the two supports, and wondering if they both might have been overconstrained, thereby isolating the strain to a smaller section. I still say somebody missed an inspection (or all of them), but I have to wonder if the other support isn't pretty compromised as well. I see track movement all over, but the lower (visible) part of the second column doesn't move any more than the lower part of the closer one.

I don't want to imply that I'm sure about much (except that that crack is not a sudden event, and the implications from that), but I'm pretty sure the damage is bigger than just one column.

Cracked through then end of 2 members and a weld on either side... I am wondering how many times you allow the coater to run while filming it before shutting it down?

I guess if there is a positive spin on this, it is that some level of safety margin was observed and even with the total loss of one support, it did not come crashing down.

Back