Tim's 3D Printer Project

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I received my printer a couple days ago October 19th to be precise.

I haven't much time working on the printer but making a little progress. I was going through the "3D printing and modeling for beginners" course from Prusa last night and realized that my plan for putting the printer in the shop my not work out all so well in the winter. In the class it says the temperature should be between 64° and 82°, my shop is very seldom that warm during the winter.

Do you think it will work OK if I put the printer in an enclosure with a room temperature of say 55°?

Here are a couple photos, from day one and day two.

20221019_164835.jpg

20221020_103114.jpg

I received my printer a couple days ago October 19th to be precise.

I haven't much time working on the printer but making a little progress. I was going through the "3D printing and modeling for beginners" course from Prusa last night and realized that my plan for putting the printer in the shop my not work out all so well in the winter. In the class it says the temperature should be between 64° and 82°, my shop is very seldom that warm during the winter.

Do you think it will work OK if I put the printer in an enclosure with a room temperature of say 55°?

Here are a couple photos, from day one and day two.

View attachment 424162

View attachment 424163

My 3d printer stays in the shop full time. It has an enclosure and is useable without heating the shop in all but the coldest months.

In December/January when the ambient temps drop below freezing, I need to turn on my electric heaters in the shop to get good results.

It's low 40s right now and it's running like a champ with no additional heat.

As long as I can keep the temp in the shop above about 40°f, the enclosure and heated bed are plenty.

Below 40°f I have to start turning on some heat.

As Tim knows, my board died in my Prusa Mk2.5s last week. You guys have a completely different board and overall system (24-volt vs my 12-volt); however, I would maybe give the following some consideration...
After analyzing my board and trying to determine the reason for failure, I believe that a contributing factor to my board's failure was possibly due to a low temp situation. The failure I saw now and then was "Bed Thermal Runaway," which is a bit of a misnomer. What it is saying is that the bed is too cool, and the control board is continuously trying to keep electricity flowing to the board to meet the temperature parameters set forth in the firmware.
I am going to be building an enclosure for mine, but the closer to the recommended ambient temperature for the printer, the better.

Thanks Ken, Sounds like I will be building an enclosure before I get too far along.

Thanks Neil,

I made a little more progress this afternoon. There sure is a lot going on with the extruder. I'm super impressed with all the printed parts and how well they go together. And the instruction manual is superb!

Speaking of keeping things warm, after chores and supper I'm going back to the shop and unearthing the wood stove. Not quite 60° in there this afternoon.

20221021_151049.jpg

20221021_165627.jpg

That is awesome Tim. Prusa has the best build manual out there, along with their support.

I got the printer complete last night. I ate a few Gummies along the way just to keep the Prusa gods happy, but I celebrated with a nice cold IPA while I was watching it print the Prusa logo.

20221023_234820.jpg

Jeepers, that didn't take you long. Congratulations! You are going to love it.

As a side note I received my new board today!

Attachments

• PXL_20221024_161628553.jpg
    PXL_20221024_161628553.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 90
Back